Go Down

Topic: Arduino IDE 1.6.11 Crashes on macOS Sierra (Read 6546 times) previous topic - next topic

avenue33

Sep 21, 2016, 01:22 pm Last Edit: Sep 21, 2016, 02:35 pm by avenue33
Arduino IDE 1.6.11 crashes on macOS Sierra, whatever the board.

/Applications/IDE/ArduinoCC.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware /Applications/IDE/ArduinoCC.app/Contents/Java/hardware -hardware /Users/ReiVilo/Library/Arduino15/packages -tools /Applications/IDE/ArduinoCC.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder -tools /Applications/IDE/ArduinoCC.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -tools /Users/ReiVilo/Library/Arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /Applications/IDE/ArduinoCC.app/Contents/Java/libraries -libraries /Users/ReiVilo/Documents/Projets/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -ide-version=10611 -build-path /var/folders/hz/wncgspfd5wxgzmly78yvzk_m0000gn/T/build6b63c6d68bf239020d15dbb60324a68f.tmp -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=/Users/ReiVilo/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.0.1-arduino5 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=/Applications/IDE/ArduinoCC.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -verbose /Applications/IDE/ArduinoCC.app/Contents/Java/examples/01.Basics/Blink/Blink.ino

failed MSpanList_Insert 0x310a90 0xb6cfa1e6f34 0x0
fatal error: MSpanList_Insert
See GithHub issue 5397

pert

This is a known issue(https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/5360). The developers have already implemented a fix and it will be in Arduino IDE 1.6.12, which should be released in a matter of hours.

Posting an issue to the forum and the GitHub issue tracker is considered crossposting, which is against the forum rules because it wastes time due to duplicate effort(in this case the developers are going to have to spend time responding to your issue that could have been used to fix legitimate issues or add new features to the Arduino IDE). If you are going to do it at least be considerate to post a link to the other cross post on each:
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/5397

As I have already pointed out there was a previous issue report for the same issue which you would have found if you had spent a few seconds of searching the issue tracker.

avenue33

Sep 21, 2016, 01:57 pm Last Edit: Sep 21, 2016, 02:31 pm by avenue33
I did search but no answer was returned. Surprisingly, I haven't experienced this issue with previous pre-releases of macOS Sierra.

About cross-posting: sorry about that. I didn't know GitHub and this very forum where shared (not to mention the secret forum on Google Code). You might revise the forum Terms and Rules accordingly.

To be fully clear:
  • The purpose of the post on this forum was to let other Arduino's users knowing about this issue and avoid them from posting another threads about this issue.
  • The purpose of the post on GitHub was to report an issue to developers, about macOS Sierra.

pert

I did search but no answer was returned.
I did a search for sierra and it was the first result. Same with MSpanList_Insert. You also should always test the hourly build before reporting an issue to GitHub to check if the issue has already been fixed. In this case there was a test build available for the last 5 days and then it was merged into the Arduino IDE just a few hours ago.

I didn't know GitHub and this very forum where shared (not to mention the secret forum on Google Code).
I get an email for posts on all of them and I'm not the only one. They're different web sites but it's all the same community.

The purpose of the post on this forum was to let other Arduino's users knowing about this issue and avoid them from posting another threads about this issue.
Yet if you would have waited just a little while for a response on your forum post before cross posting I would have given you the information you needed to understand that it wasn't necessary to submit a duplicate issue report for a bug that's most likely already been fixed days ago. If that was your intention then you should have posted a link to the GitHub issue to save others from having to go search the tracker before reporting the issue there. I don't have the knowledge and authorization to be able to do the things the Arduino developers can do but I try to solve issues that are within my capabilities so they will have time to work on the hundreds of legitimate issues in the GitHub tracker, which will benefit the entire Arduino community.

Go Up