Go Down

Topic: Arduino software port grey (Read 434 times) previous topic - next topic

charisp

Sep 24, 2016, 01:32 pm Last Edit: Sep 24, 2016, 01:39 pm by charisp
Hello guys,

I am a new arduino user and I have downloaded the latest arduino software. When I was trying to find out the port my arduino was using it was grey and I couldn't access it. I searched online for ways to fix the problem but nothing worked. I have an arduino UNO and I use windows 8.1 .
Can anyone help me?

Thank You

ballscrewbob

Where did you buy your UNO ? don't care if its a clone or not. (post a link if you can)
Which IDE version are you using ?
Have you tried different USB ports ?
What shows in device manager under ports or devices with exclamation marks ?
Have you tried different USB cable ?
Do you have anything connected to the UNO ?

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

charisp

I bought it from Farnell uk and it's original.
I am using IDE 1.6.12
Yes i have tried different ports
The arduino is connected because the LED's are working perfectly
I haven't use another USB cable just a standard printer cable
I don't have anything connected in Arduino
Under the exclamation mark it shows arduino uno

ballscrewbob

1.6.12 is new out of the box so to speak and newer IDE's sometimes have issues.
Tried IDE 1.6.12 yesterday myself under Server 2012 (win 8) and it wasn't a fun time here.

Also had some problems with USB 3.0 ports yesterday with a genuine Arduino board but clones worked great so if you do have USB 2.0 ports that's also worth a shot.

Went back to IDE 1.6.11 and everything worked as it should.

You could try downloading the zipped version of 1.6.11 and running directly from the unzipped folder.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Go Up