Go Down

Topic: Taste Synthesizer using Arduino (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Addyzarduino

Oct 10, 2016, 11:43 am Last Edit: Oct 10, 2016, 12:15 pm by Addyzarduino
Hi guys,

I am a beginner to electronics and Arduino. While surfing the net, I came across this
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22029444-500-electrode-recreates-all-four-tastes-on-your-tongue/
I was wondering if it is possible to make something like this using arduino and of course some other electronics.

If yes, can someone guide me through it? and if not, why and how can it be overcome?

Thanks.

Edit: This seems to be the main source of information for this project,
Link to the Portfolio of the actual inventor
Links to various articles about this project, including the first link I pasted, is present on this page.

Update: I found it on my own that this device is actually made using Arduino Pro mini. Now I modify my question as, Is it possible to make a simplified version of this device (like synthesizing only one of the tastes) using Arduino Uno?

DaveEvans

Oct 11, 2016, 07:01 am Last Edit: Oct 11, 2016, 09:28 am by DaveEvans
....I found it on my own that this device is actually made using Arduino Pro mini. Now I modify my question as, Is it possible to make a simplified version of this device (like synthesizing only one of the tastes) using Arduino Uno?
If they did it with a Pro Mini, it could probably be done with an Uno (but why not just use a Pro Mini?)

Oh, wait.

I am a beginner to electronics and Arduino.
Probably not a good first project for you.  Not only does it sound complicated, you have to take much care not to cook your tongue (or other people's tongues).  That is, there's a safety aspect that a beginner might not have the chops to deal with...

Addyzarduino

If they did it with a Pro Mini, it could probably be done with an Uno (but why not just use a Pro Mini?)

Oh, wait.

Probably not a good first project for you.  Not only does it sound complicated, you have to take much care not to cook your tongue (or other people's tongues).  That is, there's a safety aspect that a beginner might not have the chops to deal with...
First thanks for the quick reply and sorry for my late one.

Okay, I will take your word for it and not try to make it. But still I am very interested in this project and I am willing to make a presentation on it. Can you please explain me what things will I need for each part of this device and how can I make it work? Basically I want to know everything you can think of about making this project so that I can make an elaborate presentation on it.

Thank you very much!

DaveEvans

Everything you need to know is in the Phd Thesis.  It's available for free.  There's a link to it on the page that you call "link to the portfolio of the actual inventor."  It's immediately below the video, to the right of the researcher's name.

Addyzarduino

Oh wow, how foolish of me!

Thank you Dave.

I hope this post will bring this awesome topic into light and inspire other people. Cheers!

Go Up