Go Down

Topic: WiFi Range  (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

EngSamy

I have an MKR1000 board and i want to extend its range by adding an external antenna and asking about the possibility of this , or another method to extend my range
Thanks in advance

Aquaponics2016

I would also be interested in this.   I see no options for a ufL connector.  I am using this as a remote monitoring device and my line of sight is obstructed somewhat.

ballscrewbob

Range extenders are pretty cheap and work out of the box.

However if you are so inclined you could build one using Arduinos at a lower cost.

Arduino Mini or Nano clones and an ESP8266 would suffice.

Or add a longer range WiFi unit to the MKR and don't use the on-board.

Other options include directional antennas to your existing router if it has antennas.
A Cantenna is easy to build so if your router has more than one antenna point one of those at your MKR.

Or you could also (at your own risk) cut the MKR on board antenna trace and route to something better but unless you get the wavelength correct you do risk wrecking the WiFi side.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

EngSamy

Range extenders are pretty cheap and work out of the box.

However if you are so inclined you could build one using Arduinos at a lower cost.

Arduino Mini or Nano clones and an ESP8266 would suffice.

Or add a longer range WiFi unit to the MKR and don't use the on-board.

Other options include directional antennas to your existing router if it has antennas.
A Cantenna is easy to build so if your router has more than one antenna point one of those at your MKR.

Or you could also (at your own risk) cut the MKR on board antenna trace and route to something better but unless you get the wavelength correct you do risk wrecking the WiFi side.
cantenna would be a nice solution !
Thank you Ballscrewbob for that help

Go Up