Go Down

Topic: [SOLVED]What recourse when electronic components are out of tolerance? (Read 2532 times) previous topic - next topic

boggydew

Thanks again to allanhurst.  Your a genius.  I owe you a debt of gratitude.

boggydew

Thanks again allanhurst, These voltage references look like the way to go. Cheers.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad when your looking for support on forums like these.

Thank you all.

Wawa

Don't know about that. It's 2016.
I thought lineair regulation, with it's inefficiency and heat, was a thing of the past.
How much current are we talking about.
Nowadays you can get 2Amp 3mm x 3mm smd MPPT chips (e.g. LT3652) that put more current into the battery than the solar panel delivers.
A 15Amp MPPT charger in a case is available from ~US$7.50 on ebay, shipped.
Leo..

Resinator

A BSEE would know that
Qualifications mean nothing, anyone can know anything and some of the greatest of all time werent qualified for the job. Having a BSEE or a PhD doesnt make you better than anyone, how nice you are to people is the measurement

If you are posting on an expert forum
Experts in what though?, you say it all the time Robbie but you are deluding yourself its just hobby electronics forum with the whole breadboard experience keep it real

Even with 'expert' status with your BSEE banging on about a TVS diode

http://uk.farnell.com/vishay-semiconductor/bzg03c15-tr/diode-zener-15v-1-5w/dp/1612389

Its a Zener? isnt it lol

boggydew

SOT-23 SOT-323 etc

Try using Google once in a while

Hi raschemmel,  The irony is that I did google it. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sot

I thank you for your input. It' s been fun.

boggydew

Don't know about that. It's 2016.
I thought lineair regulation, with it's inefficiency and heat, was a thing of the past.
How much current are we talking about.
Nowadays you can get 2Amp 3mm x 3mm smd MPPT chips (e.g. LT3652) that put more current into the battery than the solar panel delivers.
A 15Amp MPPT charger in a case is available from ~US$7.50 on ebay, shipped.
Leo..

I don't have the space on my board for that many components, and its a bit pricey, but certainly the most efficient solution.

Cheers.

raschemmel

Oct 16, 2016, 02:36 am Last Edit: Oct 16, 2016, 05:12 am by raschemmel
The part is NOT out of spec.  It is the WRONG part.
So far you are the only one who refuses to accept that. Of course a TL431 VOLTAGE  REFERENCE would work better. ( that's what it is designed for.).
You should change your post title to
"[SOLVED] (wrong part)"

If you googled "SOT" ,why did you ask what it meant ?
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

boggydew

Oct 16, 2016, 02:42 am Last Edit: Oct 16, 2016, 02:47 am by boggydew Reason: placate other menber
As you wish

Wawa

So how much solar current are we talking about.

"Don't have the space", and a mix of shunt and lineair regulator (heat) does not go well together.
Leo..

raschemmel

@Resinator,
How come you onl come out of your hole when I  post ?

I suppose I should take that as a compliment (that you find me more interesting than the rest of the forum. Who'd have thunk?   8)

As you wish
Seriously though, if you ever do want to change your post title you have to do it in the ORIGINAL POST, and that way it is refelected in any further posts that occur after you change it. Also, FYI, when your post is solved, it actually is the forum custom to insert [SOLVED] in your Original Post, so it shows up in the title on the list of posts so people won't waste their time with it if they are looking for "UNSOLVED MYSTERIES" (so to speak). It is , of course , entirely up to the OP to decide if they want to change anything else about the title.
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

allanhurst

Glad you're going to use TL431's - very accurate, good temperature stability  but of course rely on accurate resistors

- hence SOT == select on test.  Standard industry abbreviation. I should have explained it.

I do like a beer, but couldn't hold a job down if I were a 'habitual drunkard!'

regards

Allan

raschemmel

SOT

hence SOT == select on test.  Standard industry abbreviation. I should have explained it.

Apparently nobody else got the memo.
Here's the list of Electronics Industry Abreviations.
Small Outline Transistor is on it.
Select On Test is not. Is that a UK thing ?

allanhurst

Oh well....

my interpretation is one of many....  as I said, I should have explained it

SOT is commonly used in the UK on schematics. As is TBA for components whose value is unknown at the time of drawing.

sorry for any confusion

Allan

boggydew

I'd just like to thank you all again, especially raschemmel for his input. By hashing it out here in the forum, I have come to a resolution without having to involve my board manufacturer, which potentially could have soured our relationship.  I do have a work around for my current boards and I will implement the TL431 on my next run.

Cheers.

I'll try and work out how to changed the original title to SOLVED.

Boardburner2

Oh well....

my interpretation is one of many....  as I said, I should have explained it

SOT is commonly used in the UK on schematics. As is TBA for components whose value is unknown at the time of drawing.

sorry for any confusion

Allan

We used to see AOT , adjust on test not standard though.

Go Up