Go Down

Topic: Lighting in stage show props using a key fob remote to trigger lighting changes. (Read 2327 times) previous topic - next topic

damian_jay

Hi all.

I am a soap bubble performer and have an idea for a part of my show. With a little research I've found this exciting world of Arduino, pixel lighting and stuff and think this will be the perfect solution to my current challenge.

The concept

Two 1.5 metre square bases (which will house the batteries, receiver units and processors) one set each side of the stage which can be moved to centre stage.
Each one of these bases will have four poles / tubes pointing up at set distances.
A little bit like the set up Plate spinner's use. Here's a link to a plate spinner so you can see the kind of setup I'm thinking of.
Link: Van Buren

On the top of each pole however will be a eight inch diameter container with a pixel ring light inside. A clear acrylic disc is on top. I then blow a smoke filled bubble on the top of each disc.
When I press a remote I would like each of the eight smoke bubbles to 'light up' in a different colour.
At the press of a second button on the remote, I'd like the lights to start a chase pattern.

This is the part I hope you can help with.

I am totally new to all of this and found the following website to be very helpful: www.makersify.com 

Please could I ask your advice, first if my understanding of what parts I need is correct (theory), and secondly if the following parts I've researched will all work together to make my concept work properly.

First Part - The Theory:

In each base will be:

1 x battery
1 x receiver (both receivers paired to the same buttons on the key fob)
1 x processor (both running the same program)

Power and signal cables would then run from the processor up the first pole to the first pixel ring, back down the pole and onto the second pole. Up the second pole to the pixel ring and so on. When it gets to the last pixel ring in pole four, I'm guessing the signal cable terminates while the power cable returns back to the battery pack.

In my understanding would I need power from the battery to both the receiver and the processor to begin with?

Second Part - Components and parts:

Again from the makersify website and my very basic understanding would the following components work together to achieve my goal?

The keyfob (DFRobot Remote Wireless Keyfob 315MHz - Metal), and the receiver 315Mhz RF Shield For Arduino work together as is stated on the website. I'm hoping I can pair two buttons with two options. One of the buttons when pressed will turn the lights on or off. Another button when pressed will change the light program from static lights to a chase sequence.

Key Fob link: Key Fob Link

Receiver Link: Receiver Link

The processor (the bit I program and that runs that program) I'm not so sure which one is needed. On the 'People have also purchased…' part of the site it mentions the  DFRduino UNO R3 - Arduino Compatible

Link: Receiver Link

Apart from the programming side of things, would that be all the parts I'd need (apart from the wiring and the pixel rings themselves) to achieve my goal?
Are there any parts I've missed out that would stabilise the set up - I read somewhere about voltage spikes, not sure what they are but I know they are not good.

Anyway I hope the above makes sense and I look forward to hearing from you.
If you need more information on what I am trying to achieve please ask. I sometimes forget that while I know what I'm attempting to do, by my explanations, others may not.

Thank you for your time and your advice

Damian Jay

cristinon

I recommend the arduino uno becuase its the easiest for beginers. Look at the files on the fob page: Fob Documentation.
Just use this for the color: Rgb Led. Documentation: doc. Good luck! Thats a cool job.  ;)
~Noah Cristino :)

damian_jay

I recommend the arduino uno becuase its the easiest for beginers. Look at the files on the fob page: Fob Documentation.
Just use this for the color: Rgb Led. Documentation: doc. Good luck! Thats a cool job.  ;)
Thank you Cristinon :-)

Go Up