Go Down

Topic: Amplifying Wave File Output (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Musicmanager

Yes, for sure .. .. ..

The actual connections around the 386 are from the datasheet .. the rest of it I copied from here ..

http://i2.wp.com/www.circuitbasics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/LM386-Audio-amplifier-with-Bass-Boost-NEW-2.png

I suppose this is another example of one of my pet hates .. .. you find a circuit published on the net that is recommended to do what you want, open the front door and tell funny jokes and then you build it and discover it doesn't actually do anything at all. I really find that most helpful and very discouraging .. .. .

I mean the amp board I've built isn't even big enough to use for a doorstop ! :)

Thanks Mike

Grumpy_Mike

The problem is that for some circuits the schematic is only half the story. Layout is vital in some circuits as well. This is one of those cases.

Musicmanager

Morning .. ..

Exactly my point .. .. .. .. where on the datasheet or the Instructables Project does it ever tell you that ? .. it waits until you've spent money, time and effort before you find out there's another most important element that isn't actually mentioned anywhere, and consequently there is absolutely no chance of success !

The graphic layout on the breadboard is very pretty, but honest ?

And the net result to a novice like me is that unless you've got crystal balls any attempt is doomed to failure !

Ah well ,the grandkids can have the game and whistle whilst they play with it.

Thanks for your help Mike

S

Grumpy_Mike

where on the datasheet or the Instructables Project does it ever tell you that
Data sheets are not written for beginners they are written for professionals. We just tag along on their coat tails.

The graphic layout on the breadboard is very pretty,
Reminds me of a story my supervisor told me. He was one of the scientists developing radar during the war and he tells the story of the Germans capturing a VHF aircraft transmitter. They were so disgusted with the way it was wired up, not very neat. When they tried to copy it they could not get it to work because they tided it up and knew nothing about stray inductance and capacitance.

Musicmanager

Hi Mike

I don't want to perpetuate a pointless discussion, but ..

"Data sheets are not written for beginners they are written for professionals. We just tag along on their coat tails." 

I am a professional, but not a professional EE; It seems to me they are written for the clairvoyant !

I've been looking on the net this morning for a book or something meaningful about amplifier layout . .. .. almost everything I've found begins with the acronym .. IMHO .. .. .. in other words, this is what I think but don't blame me if it doesn't work !

The whole world seems to 'paddle' along on the notion of approximately right !

Anyway, I suggest we close the topic there .. .. .

Thanks again

S

Go Up