Go Down

Topic: Pixie Dust Tinkerbell chime effect? (Read 2428 times) previous topic - next topic

pjrc

Nov 18, 2016, 12:58 pm Last Edit: Nov 18, 2016, 01:09 pm by Paul Stoffregen
Puredata (PD) provides 2 types of connections.  The thin lines transport events and scalar data.  The thick lines are audio streams.

The Teensy audio library design tool only connects audio streams.  In that respect, it's similar to PD's DSP connections, but using a simple static update order.  Of course PD has a pretty tremendous library of DSP objects with rich functionality.  My work on the audio library is growing, but in 3 years starting from scratch, I've only managed to implement a small fraction of what's available in mature systems like PD, Csound, Reaktor or Max/MSP.  I plan to do much more, but realistically I don't think I'll ever come close to matching the incredible capability of those systems, not to mention the raw compute power of modern PC or Mac hardware.

On Teensy, the control stuff you'd do in PD with the thin lines is meant to be done by the Arduino sketch code.

charliesixpack

No PD is a graphics sound synthesizing language, where as the teensy graphical editor is about digital sound manipulation and playing samples.
Sound synthesis and sound manipulation are the exact same thing so I do not see your point.  The Teensy editor is certainly not restricted to playing samples.  Paul points out that the Teensy editor has limitations but I see posibilities.  What cannot be done with the editor can be done with code.

Go Up