Go Down

Topic: AC loss detector with HCPL3700 (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

Nov 15, 2016, 05:43 am Last Edit: Nov 15, 2016, 05:44 am by CrossRoads
Gang,
What am I missing here? I can't get a low out of this thing to show good AC coming in.
HCPL3700V datasheet & application note.
https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/HC/HCPL3700.pdf
http://www.avagotech.com/docs/AV02-3699EN

I have 120V connected thru 30K resistors to pins 1 & 4, 10uF electrolytic cap across pins 2 & 3, Vcc at 5V with 0.1uF cap to Gnd, Gnd to Gnd, and Vo pin 6 to an Arduino input with internal pullup. Output stays at 5V.
I measure 59VAC at pins 1,2,3,4.

What do I need for a low? I am stumped.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

larryd

Nov 15, 2016, 05:53 am Last Edit: Nov 15, 2016, 06:04 am by LarryD
Can you forget about the 120vac for the moment and apply, say DC 12v at the chip input to see what you get?

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

CrossRoads

I have 5.08VAC across pins 1 & 4, and 3.25VDC across pins 2 & 3.

Altho on a scope and with a meter relative to Gnd they all look like 60VAC.

LarryD,
By chip input, do you mean +12/Gnd on pins 2(+) & 3(Gnd) ?

I'll have set up a 12VDC supply, too late to start that now, can barely see with these dry contacts.
Tomorrow after work I'll set that up.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

CrossRoads

Would I need some current limiting with the 12V?

larryd

I was thinking something like fig 5 bottom page 3 on the application sheet 1004.

No technical PMs.

CrossRoads

I have things soldered up, didn't want loose parts with the live AC.
I have ~29K resistors in series now. Re-reading page 6 for input AC filtering, it looks like I could have used two 15K resistors instead for a total Rx of 30K. I can add a 30K in parallel to each one to get each leg down to 15K, also has power dissipation benefit.

Have to wait until I get home to try this after fencing class.

CrossRoads

Nov 16, 2016, 03:25 am Last Edit: Nov 16, 2016, 03:26 am by CrossRoads
Got it figured out - just need to lower the resistance in the AC lines from 30K to 15K (Rx/2, which I was not reading correctly in the datasheet).

Need to determine Rs for 24VAC also but dont' have a 24VAC source to test with yet.
Need to poke thru my pile of old printer power supplies & stuff.

larryd

No technical PMs.

OldPro

Got it figured out - just need to lower the resistance in the AC lines from 30K to 15K (Rx/2, which I was not reading correctly in the datasheet).

Need to determine Rs for 24VAC also but dont' have a 24VAC source to test with yet.
Need to poke thru my pile of old printer power supplies & stuff.

@CrossRoads...hi. What is the purpose of the 10 uF cap across the two DC input terminals #2 and #3 on the HCPL3700 (C11)?

TomGeorge

Hi,
Are you happy with the 24Vac being somehow connected to 120Vac?

I would use two separate 3700 ICs.

At the moment you need BOTH 120Vac and 24Vac to fail to change the 3700 output?

Tom.... :)

Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Go Up