Go Down

Topic: Most stable uplaoder/programmer? (Read 541 times) previous topic - next topic

felic

Is there a more stable tool than the official Arduino IDE to compile/upload sketches?
I just gave up on the IDE because it just doesn't work anymore on my Windows 8.1 PC.
And besides that it was way to buggy in general anyways.

pert

The most common tool to upload to AVR microcontrollers is AVRDUDE. In fact, that's the program the Arduino IDE uses, which was producing the "not in sync" error messages you encountered. As for compiling, the linked post only show an upload error, which means that the compiling step completed successfully.

If you want an alternative to the Arduino IDE there is Eclipse, which has an Arduino plugin available. There is also Atmel Studio, which can be made Arduino compatible via the Visual Micro plugin. Other IDE names I hear frequently are Netbeans, Code::Blocks, mbed, Energia. These may provide varying levels of compatibility with Arduino libraries and hardware.

felic

I know that this particular issue was an upload issue. But I had crazy linker/compiler issues with the IDE in the past. For instance some of my sketches wouldn't compile/link properly when I opened the sketches with a double click on the ino file...

The funny thing is that I have never had any such issues with gcc/g++ when compiling/linking projects not related to Arduinos and yet the IDE uses gcc (at least that's what people say).

I don't know how the Arduino IDE is using gcc or AVRDUDE, but I have a feeling that it is simply not used correctly.

I'm not really looking for an IDE btw. I'm just looking for a simple tool that can upload/compile my sketches. Something that doesn't feel like it's in alpha stage.

pert

The IDE does use avr-gcc and AVRDUDE but Arduino has their own custom builds of them so it might be that you encountered issues specific to those builds.

It sounds like you want a makefile. I'm aware of this one for Arduino:
https://github.com/sudar/Arduino-Makefile
but it still requires the Arduino IDE to be installed so I don't think that's what you're looking for. I'm sure you can find one that doesn't or just write your own.

felic

Nov 15, 2016, 10:26 pm Last Edit: Nov 15, 2016, 10:31 pm by felic
Sure I could write my own IDE. Some file io and a GUI... But I have no experience in how to programmatically compile and upload code. And I mean that's what I'm looking for. I don't need an IDE. I just need a compiler and an uploader that works more reliably than the official one. And calling the binaries through a makefile or whatever instead of through the IDE won't solve that problem.

pert

I wasn't talking about writing your own IDE. I was talking about writing your own makefile.

calling the binaries through a makefile or whatever instead of through the IDE won't solve that problem.
I don't know how the Arduino IDE is using gcc or AVRDUDE, but I have a feeling that it is simply not used correctly.
Make up your mind. Is the problem the way the Arduino IDE is using the tools or is the problem with the tools themselves?

Millions of people are successfully using AVRDUDE and AVR-GCC, including me. I think you'd be better off spending your time figuring out what the problem is than trying to find an alternative for those programs. If you don't like the Arduino IDE that's fine but AVRDUDE and AVR-GCC are pretty much the standard free tools for working with AVR. You may be having an issue related to Arduino's build of these tools or the specific version but there's nothing requiring you to use those versions.

westfw

For a more strongly vendor-supported build/load environment, you could get Atmel Studio and one of Atmel's supported device programmers.  No more Arduino IDE, no more AVRDude, and you'd only be paying about $100 for the "honor" (and you'd get real debugging, too.)  Atmel Studio claims to be able to import Arduino sketches, although I'd rate that feature as somewhat "alpha status", too.

Or you can pay several hundred to several thousand dollars for on of the commercial compiler/IDE suites like IAR.

I'm not really looking for an IDE btw. I'm just looking for a simple tool that can upload/compile my sketches.
All the "pro" class tools seem to come as IDEs.  Atmel does have a download of command-line tools (basically just the gcc tools); I'm not sure whether it includes upload tools.  You already have gcc, but that's not enough?

Go Up