Go Down

Topic: Is there demand for a breakout shield that simplifies connections? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

ProComputerGaming

As a project in High School, my friend and I are developing an Arduino breakout shield that simplifies connecting sensors, motors, etc. to the board.

On the board would be an LCD, a battery connection (so the ability to supply a second power rail), and various buses for different types of external hardware (motors, digital sensors, analog sensors, etc).

The motor bus would use the battery connection for power, and utilize a built in motor controller so that the user can just plug a two wire motor directly into the shield.

The other buses would be made up of three pin connections, to give the user ground, voltage, and a data connection.

Is there demand for this type of shield?
Let us know!

CrossRoads

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

ProComputerGaming

Yes, it would be like those. However ours would have a built in LCD and motor controllers.

We also would have more "ports" instead of just naked pins.

I also forgot to add there would be a separate power rail, so you would have the ability to hook things up to a voltage you specify based on whatever you hook up to it.

CrossRoads

I'd think you'd want 3 wire motor busses for Servos, Arduino control directly, and 4/5/6 wire busses for Stepper motors - need  high current drivers, investigate different driver chips at Pololu.com for example.

Ports vs naked pins - like shift registers to drive 12V/higher current LED strings?

Port expanders to connect to more buttons, switches?

I2C and SPI interfaces to connect to those devices (GPS, SD card, RTCs)?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up