Go Down

Topic: Drive ws2812b with Arduino Mega 2560 using FastLED library. (Read 3541 times) previous topic - next topic

jgetrost

Alright. I tried a third LED and this one is working.... I might have a bad batch, or maybe some were damaged in shpping. I got them in a pretty wrinkly looking shipping envelope. Either way:

Thank you all for your help! I appreciate it very much.

INTP

Your soldering is indicative of an 'iron not hot enough and left on too long' so I would not be so quick to blame a bad batch of LEDs that were damaged by you.

jgetrost

Your soldering is indicative of an 'iron not hot enough and left on too long' so I would not be so quick to blame a bad batch of LEDs that were damaged by you.
I did damage one earlier, didn't attempt to connect it. i had the iron on for plenty of time though. it may have been poor soldering, but I tugged lightly on each one to make sure it was secure. I'll work more with the ones I may have hastily labeled bad.

INTP

i had the iron on for plenty of time though. it may have been poor soldering, but I tugged lightly on each one to make sure it was secure.
By on-too-long I meant you left it touching the wire and component for too long because you were waiting for solder to flow because iron was not hot enough.

Hot iron, 1-2 seconds contact, bring in solder, remove solder, remove iron.

I'm not saying the connection isn't physically attached, I'm saying the duration that you kept heating up the component damaged it internally.

Grumpy_Mike

A mechanical joint does not equal an electrical joint. When your iron is not hot enough flux between the wire and pad is not burnt off leaving a mechanical connection but no electrical one.

Grumpy_Mike

The first photograph looks like the data is connected to pin 7 not 6 like the software
Odd I only pointed that out in reply#6

INTP

And you are both wrong because the angle is apparent and you can see the space for the header end which is an empty pin 7.

Grumpy_Mike

And you are both wrong because the angle is apparent and you can see the space for the header end which is an empty pin 7.
If that "you" means me then no it is not apparent otherwise I would not have said so.

INTP

Maybe not apparent if you only glanced at it on a small phone screen, but even when I did that, it was apparent. Regardless, new guy making that comment after the second pic was already up there even more apparently showing data plugged in correctly is a head scratcher.

bwy6

I also have a short led strip (ws2812) and want to build a funny gift for my son. I intend to use a UNO board, a CH05 bluetooth and an free Android app for control the led strip via bluetooth. Because I dont' have a Mega board and confuse that whether UNO board have enough capability/perfomance for that app (of course using FastLED library).

Anyone has experiences with using FastLED library give me an advice. Thank so much.

Go Up