Go Down

Topic: Delete (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

bartashevich

Nov 20, 2016, 06:43 pm Last Edit: Nov 23, 2016, 10:25 pm by bartashevich Reason: Delete
Delete

AWOL

Can you tell us where you live, so we know where to avoid, and where to send the flowers?

terryking228

Hi,
It works for the F35.  What could go wrong??
Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

AWOL

Nov 20, 2016, 09:11 pm Last Edit: Nov 20, 2016, 09:35 pm by AWOL
Dead simple: figure out how much torque and how much travel you need to control the steering input.
Translate that to a motor specification, design a feedback mechanism and control rules to suit.
Repeat for pedals and gear-stick.

Positive enough for you?

Robin2

I'm thinking of servo motors for clutch, brake and gas pedals. Don't know yet how to do with steering wheel. And I don't need yet to mess with gearbox. So it will be controlled at fixed gear.
Buying a second car would be cheaper.

And see what you liability insurer thinks of the idea before you spend time of money on it.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

AWOL

Answer is much better, but still not really helpful.

What I need to know: if there is something better than servo motors, cars like Tesla uses electric powered steering wheel and commands car from computer, but my car is all mechanic so I need servo motor, or small hydraulic motor maybe, i don't know, or maybe another kind of motor.
It's not really an Arduino question then, is it?

Robin2

Isn't this Motors, Mechanics, and Power sections?
Google and others are spending $millions (maybe $billions) on this sort of thing.

Do you really expect to get useful advice here?

Even if I knew the answers I would not tell you in case I became involved in a law-suit if your activity kills or injures someone.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

INTP

What's your budget? You will need some powerful servo motors to do anything, and they are expensive.
Something tells me you couldn't even control an RC car right now, so maybe start with that and spare the lives of your neighbors.

INTP

Torque drops off in a linear fashion with distance. Just 10cm out and you're probably looking at a dinky 1.5KG stall. The reviews on the 995 are also bad, common complaints of inaccuracy are not something you want controlling a car.
But the gas pedal is probably the easiest component, could just rig up to the throttle cable instead of replicating the foot's actions. You need failsafes, though. Drive by wire would make it simpler, and if your car has cruise control then easier yet. My car has buttons on the steering wheel to increase and decrease speed during cruise, for example.

You need a very strong motor to steer. Even with power steering, steering feedback from the road through the car will burn out any of those hobby servos you think can be used.

AntonZdz

If you take off your steering wheel (being careful to ensure you dont blow the airbag up), you will see that your steering wheel connects to a toothed shaft. I would imagine, if you measure the gap between the teeth, then got a gear made up that fit the teeth, and then used the motor to turn that gear you might be able to move the steering wheel. However, this would probably be very slow and not return very quickly.

The very expensive racing simulator wheels use pretty big motors to drive force feedback and auto center the steering wheels, maybe find the spec of one of these and go from there?

Anton_H

for the pedals you can use a rope that is connected with a motor. If the motor go forward, the rope rolls up and the pedal go down and vice-versa

Go Up