Go Down

Topic: Communicate arduino directly with webpage (Read 270 times) previous topic - next topic

mitchelljeppson

I have seen discussion on writing data to and from an Arduino using a serial port, is it possible to communicate with an Arduino board plugged into a pc via usb directly from a webpage? For instance, say I have an Arduino controlling a motor. Can I plug the Arduino into my computer and allow someone remotely to turn the motor on and off via a website?

I look forward to any discussion.

Thanks.

ieee488

The Arduino Uno has no wifi capability.

Pagus

is it possible to communicate with an Arduino board plugged into a pc via usb directly from a webpage? For instance, say I have an Arduino controlling a motor. Can I plug the Arduino into my computer and allow someone remotely to turn the motor on and off via a website?
Yes, but a lot depends on your experience coding web pages and Javascript and installing web servers, etc. If you know node.js and Javascript, Johnny Five is an easy option. If not, you have a lot of learning ahead.
It may be possible using Python but I know very little Python.

It is possible to run mini web servers in ESP8266, ESP32, MKR1000, and MKR1010 boards. No PC required.

sterretje

You can run a webserver on your PC; don't do that if you have no idea about security implications. Note that your ISP might not allow you to run a webserver through their network.

Next you can do some googling for e.g. webserver write serial data; this is one of them that I would try (based on title): How can I send data from a web page to a serial port?

If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

Go Up