Go Down

Topic: PLX-DAQ version 2 - now with 64 bit support! (and further new features) (Read 152987 times) previous topic - next topic

NetDevil

Hi folks,

just a quick heads up, I'l be travelling the next fews days, therefore there will be no chance to answer... although my answer rate dropped quite a bit anyways over the last few months ;)

Yes, had that closed.  Issue repeats every time.  Not sure if it is the windows machine, the version of excel or the PLX software but something isn't happy about all my data
Hi kcpilotguy:
I think the problem is, that you are checking for new values every 50ms only, but spamming Serial.println every loop (which can be like every 2ms as you have no heavy other operation in you loop). Try putting the Serial.println in the 50ms delay as well or creating a second delay-check for that. Too much fast data can flood and cras the input of PLX DAQ.

Hi Xendelaar:
thank you for your feedback and no worries here, no offence taken :) I am pissed myself Excel is crashing when there is too much data pouring in (see above), it is like the number one problem reported. I do have a glimpse of a hope there is a solution, as there is some other code I tried once and it was working more stable in the first test runs. Although I never found the time to fully implement and stress test it, it is number one on my bucket list for "the future"....
Increasing the baud rate really isn't the best way, as it is only how fast data is being transferred. The best way is to have a balance between speed and frequency. Like using 5600 baud but with a few delays in the Arduino code. If you really need fast data try to optimize the format. E.g. not sending DATE or TIME or not using the STRING cast. That way Arduino can work faster, baud rate can be decreased. In case of expert mode you might also eliminate the DATE and TIME command from Serial.println but put it in the VBA code to be printed by default. I never had an issue with the performance of the PC or Excel operations (just the API calls).

I know this isn't like the best answer to give, but that is all I can do for you at the moment. I am really looking forward to release 2.12 one day (or maybe it would already be 3.0?) but yeah ... time time time ...

Greetings to all of you
Jonathan

Xendelaar

Thanks for the kind reply.  I will try to avoid sending data from the arduino to excel. I don't really need that information anyway.

I used my setup (arduino to excel odometer) last week during a sort of puzzle car rally. Everything worked pretty well... but after driving several hours I noticed that excel wasn't able to keep up writing the data from the arduino.
Excel only had to process two strings of text (date. Time. And wheel pulses) per second. It seems that after adding 17.000 lines Excel was having difficulty processing the data stream. I started noticing lag when I wasn't driving. Eventually it crashed.
Maybe removing the data and timer function will solve the problem. I'll have to test this.
 I used version 1.x last year (without prompting the data en timer) and that version seemed to be very stable.
So I've got my Hope's set on the removal of data and timer function. If that doesn't work. I' can always revert to version 1.x

I hope you'll have nice trip! Take care.
I'll be looking forward to any updates! :)

joan1211

Hello NetDevil,,

I am a new user of Arduino, and definitely not a developper. So for me its not easy.

Im trying to make a temperature/humidity data logger.

Its working fine with the aduino and the included serial monitor.
I would like to use your PLX-DAQ, but its not working.

Im with Windows 10 and Excel 2010. When I lounch it, i have this message:

And after clicking yes i have this message:

Do you have any idea how to proceed?

Thanks a lot for your help

joan1211

Finally i managed. Apparently Excel 2010 is not supported.

With Excel 2016 it works. I have now to learn how to use it properly to do graphics.

Thanks for this software :)

joan1211

Now i am stuck with the code.

is there anyone who could help me with the code that i should write in the arduino in order to have my Excel recognizing my datas?

PLX-DAQ is working, but i do not know what to write in the LABEL and column of the excel sheet, and also in the code of the arduino...

Some help would be necessary. Thanks

joan1211

Just to let you know, i found this code. and its working properly :)

Is there any way to reverse the raws in excel?

I have many datas and when i have more than 30 datas, its hidden on the bottom. So instead of writting on the last raw, i would like to write on the first raw.

:)

NetDevil

Hi Joan,

puh - a lot to answer :)

First of all it is good to know that PLX DAQ is running fine on your PC in the end. I don't think it is an Excel 2010 issue as we had some people in this thread confirming the software to run on Excel 2010. It might be an issue with the mixture of Excel 2010 and Windows 10 but I don't think so either. Most likely there is an issue with your version of Excel 2010. For example VBA was not installed in that instance? Or the security level was set too low (thus macros were not allowed) or stuff like that.
But in the end you are running the code, let's move on.

Please take a look at the Beginners Guide Word Document which is included in the zip file. There you'll find all the details regarding the LABEL command, or the DATA command and even the AUTOSCROLL command which can be used to solve you issue with data behind display "hidden" (it is just at the end of the sheet, AUTOSCROLL will save you the effort of scrolling manually).
Otherwise you might use the "CELL,SET" command to explicitly write to the same cell all the time (or to loop over e.g. the first 20 cells only).

As said: all of that is included in the Beginners Guide :)

Greetings

Jonathan

Power_Broker

Jonathan,

I notice a lot of different versions (at least on the first page of the thread) for this program. For ease of download and version controlling; is there any reason you don't host the source code/ancillary documents on GitHub? Then you could just post a single link to the repo and people will always have access to the most current program (and previous versions if they dig).
"The desire that guides me in all I do is the desire to harness the forces of nature to the service of mankind."
   - Nikola Tesla

NetDevil

So I've got my Hope's set on the removal of data and timer function. If that doesn't work. I' can always revert to version 1.x
Hi Xendelaar,

yeah there were some similar bugs in 1.x as well and I think I remember doing some tests a few years back which showed there were ways to crash 1.x by flooding as well. But nevertheless a software is only good as long as it is reliable. And that is something I will try to work on some time in the future :)

is there any reason you don't host the source code/ancillary documents on GitHub?
Hi Power_Broker,

the main reason would be that (in my opinion) Github is good for code and code distribution. Sadly the VBA projects are always embedded in the Excel document and rely on the UI forms as well. That said I could maybe only upload the full file and it would not play the benefits of Github (highlighting of changes and version tracking). Or maybe I am missing some features? Please update me if my opinion is wrong :)
Another reason why I choose the first post of the thread to be a summary is that I noticed a lot of people getting direct links to outdated posts out of this board or other boards. Therefore I marked each post of any outdated version as outdated and point to the static first post where I can forward to the newest version with ease. By that I hope to reduce the amount of people downloading deprecated versions and getting unnecessary problems.

chis

Is there a beginner's guide to using this? I can't see how to get started.

I want to send data from an excel sheet into my Arduino code. It doesn't need to be real time. There's not a lot of data - 180 three digit decimal numbers. The data will be used as values for variables in my code.

I'm running excel on a mac, btw.

NetDevil

Hi Chis,

Is there a beginner's guide to using this? I can't see how to get started.
yes there is. It is included in the ZIP file or can be downloaded individual. Everything can be found attached to e.g. in this post of version 2.11 (at the end of the post)

I want to send data from an excel sheet into my Arduino code. It doesn't need to be real time. There's not a lot of data - 180 three digit decimal numbers. The data will be used as values for variables in my code.
Well ... 180 variables is quite a bit of data for the Arduino I guess, but it can be done sure. Best thing would be to send it in a string I guess and parse on the Arduino (e.g. semicolon separated).

I'm running excel on a mac, btw.
PLX DAQ wasn't made for Mac and there were a lot of questions about whether or not it can run on a Mac. I never got any feedback for this. To see the lastest point of knowledge please see here my response to Brilliantgp.

chis

Hi Net Devil

Thanks for coming back so quickly :-)

I found the beginners guide. I put the value 199 into cell J9 in the excel sheet, lifted the code from the beginners guide with no additions / changes. The complete code I used is visible in the image attached.

When I tried to Connect on the PLX DAQ Control window, I got the error displayed in the image. I tried port values 1 thru 8 inclusive, btw.

Nothing appeared in the window where serial print outputs normally appear.

I suspect I need to point the Arduino at a specific spreadsheet, but don't know how to do this. I suspect also that I need to include something from a library somewhere, but again I do not know what I need include.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NetDevil

Hi Chis,

thanks for trying out and coming back on the issue!

First of all the code on the Arduino looks good and should work.
Also Arduino code does not need to contain the spreadsheet information, that is within PLX DAQ (and I can see the drop down having select "Simple Data", thus everything is fine).

The problem seems to be that PLX DAQ relies on the kernel32 DLL for communication with the serial port, which is not available within Mac. COM ports in Mac are a bit more cryptic like explained here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12254378/how-to-find-the-serial-port-number-on-mac-os-x

Please try something like that as an input and maybe you can find something like a "windows api" package for mac that includes the kernel32 file?

chis

Hi NetDevil

Really appreciate you looking over the image I sent and checking that most of the stuff I did was OK! Thank you.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know the difference between a kernel32 and a Brazil nut. So, my next step is to try to find out something about that, so that maybe the stack overflow link you sent will start to make some sense.

Thanks again!!

NetDevil

Hi aa_ra18,

at first I was confused, but I googled the message "commopen createfile" and actually landed in this thread at a post from 2017 where the problem was already mentioned and solved. Please see here: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=437398.msg3480930#msg3480930

Go Up