Go Down

Topic: Choosing an alternative IDE. (Read 5436 times) previous topic - next topic

Jonathanese

I'm looking for a good, preferably free, IDE to work with that is far more versatile than the arduino sketch editor.

So far, I have used the sketch editor, and I'm currently using Visual Micro. But this is for a business, and visual micro is outrageously expensive for a business license, and completely lacks portability. That is, I can't just work off the network drive, I have to work off of a PARTICULAR folder on my PARTICULAR laptop, which is terrible for teamwork projects and things like Git.

So I'll just post what I'm looking for, and some ideas, and maybe you guys can come up with a good alternative.

- Must be able to store and open projects anywhere, not just a particular project folder (Visual Micro sucks on this front).

- Must have smart text features. For instance, listing variables in a struct, listing methods in a class, etc.

- Preferably would have line-by-line debugging, but this isn't a must.

- Visual Micro, when fully activated, can show the arduino's IO information when debugging. This isn't necessary but would be really cool.

- Must be free or cheap.

It seems like I had tried Sloeber, and it was a mess to set up. Visual Micro is absolutely amazing, but it is expensive and a nightmare for collaboration. I'm looking into Atmel Studio. Any suggestions either from these or others would be quite helpful.

Thanks!

Robin2

I use the Geany editor for all my programming and I have written a short Python program that I can call from Geany to compile and upload programs using the command-line Arduino IDE.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

westfw

Must be able to store and open projects anywhere, not just a particular project folder (Visual Micro sucks on this front).
Are you sure about that?  I thought Visual Micro was based on Visual Studio, and I didn't think that it had such restrictions (at least, the version underneath Atmel Studio doesn't seem to have that restriction.)

Have you tried Atmel Studio itself?  The latest version can "import" Arduino sketches, and I'd think you should be able to use one of those imported sketches for generating new sketches from scratch.  It may not interface quite so cleanly to the rest of the Arduino environment (upload/libraries/etc)

Have you tried Atmel Studio itself? 
I tried Atmel v7, and quickly uninstalled it.  Evidently v7 was a rewrite so I was optimistic but it installed a deluge of dependencies that took maybe an hour of setup, and then it still ground my laptop to a halt while running.  That may be my fault for having only 4G memory to play with but still -- I thought Eclipse was a memory hog but it's "light" compared to Atmel.

Sloeber seems difficult to understand but I think it's really just bad translation of docs.  The main committer to Sloeber is Italian, no?  And he really tried to explain that current Eclipse users don't need a whole new setup but just his add-ons, yet also tried to explain that non-Eclipse users can use his all-in-one installer.  That didn't come across well on the website's docs.  We should probably volunteer to be tech writers the Sloeber guy. :)

Sloeber worked except I could not get the remote debugger working against my Yun, and that's a requirement for you (and me!).  I strongly suspect my issue was unique problem to the Yun itself (I was remoting in via its built-in Wifi with a Bridge that connects the Atmel chip to the Atheros chip, and Sloeber could see the IP of the Yun but the Debugger could not connect to the Serial -- but it looks like most Serial connects don't work that way).  I'm going to retry Sloeber with the 101 board and update here if folks are interested. 

l'm most comfortable in Eclipse b/c I come from the Java world so obviously folks will have opinions.  Everything for Arduino worked: syntax highlighting, build from source, library includes, etc.  On your teamwork/collaboration point: that's another plus for Eclipse.  I setup Github in Eclipse -- which is free -- do the usual commit & push, and don't worry about lots of iterative changes from different commits (I'm the only committer to my project but run Eclipse on 3 different boxes).

westfw

Ah yes; AS6 and AS7 are slow and huge because they're based on Microsoft's Visual Studio.  Which is similarly slow to install and even bigger :-(  It (AS7) usually runs OK for me, aside from startup time.
Microchip's MPLAB-X is based on NetBeans, and seems similarly large and slow to start.
XCode is big and slow to start as well.
Keil is pretty zippy (I don't think it does AVR, though) (and it's not free.)
CodeBlocks based IDEs seem to run OK.
I haven't actually used and Eclipse-based IDE for microcontrollers; it's reputation isn't very good :-(
I tend to fall back to EMACS and a set of command-line tools etags, mkid, gcc...  Not exactly easy to set up, though.

All things considered, the Arduino IDE ends up not looking so awful after all.  Sure, it's missing a lot of "modern" features, but it's easy to install and relatively compact...

Jantje

It seems like I had tried Sloeber, and it was a mess to set up.
Can you explain the mess?
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

Pearo

I just switched over to Atmel Studio 7. I come from a Visual Studio background so I am familiar with the IDE and also aware of its power. FWIW, I use eclipse for Linux and I think VS is better, but thats my own personal preference. I use both exclusively for C++ development (non GUI).

For a new user, AS7 is going to be a big learning curve. From what I understand its a fairly new product at this stage, and its a bit buggy. Its taken me about 2 days to work through those issues and I now have it working reasonable well.

I highly recommend AS7. I think as they punch out the next few revisions its going to become a pretty powerful tool.

I got roused on over in the programming forum for asking questions about AS7, but if you want to ask detailed questions I will try keep an eye on it. Perhaps there is a need for a specific AS forum in here?

westfw

From what I understand [AS7] a fairly new product
The first version of Atmel Studio to be based on Microsoft Visual Studio with version 5 (which pre-dates Window 8.)
ASv5 was widely regarded as a disaster, but things were mostly ironed out by v6.2.  I think in v7 they upgraded the version of the base VS (it's the first version that no longer supports WXP), so there may be a few new bugs...
(what problems did YOU have (as an experienced VS user)?)

Windows Only, which is unfortunate, IMO.

AS is widely discussed over on http://avrfreaks.net (which is a more detailed technical forum.  Mostly.)   I suspect that most of the arduino community would rather have AS discussions stay "over there."

Pearo

The main problems I had were just manually having to add stuff in when the IDE should do it for you. The great thing about VS is that it automates a lot of stuff and debugging is really well integrated even on custom hardware.

Given what I had to work 20-30 years ago writing ASM and using overpriced crappy C compilers its pretty refreshing.

Anyway, I am starting to get the feeling that its an us and them argument with Arduino and AVRFreaks. Pretty silly if you ask me, but people do get defensive over the own personal preferences. I can see the merit in both products.

Jantje

Sloeber seems difficult to understand but I think it's really just bad translation of docs.  The main committer to Sloeber is Italian, no?  And he really tried to explain that current Eclipse users don't need a whole new setup but just his add-ons, yet also tried to explain that non-Eclipse users can use his all-in-one installer.  That didn't come across well on the website's docs.  We should probably volunteer to be tech writers the Sloeber guy. :)
The sloeber guy is me. I'm from Belgium and my native language is Dutch.I'm not mutch of a (tech) writer which explains the "difficult to understand".
Roberto is Italian and helped out on the gui and most of the catching/well written stuff is from him. Before he joined things were terrible. I'm trying to document more and more in video's but that takes a lot of time.
Anyways help is welcomed. The web site is the eclipse project website at the Sloeber github repository.

Sloeber worked except I could not get the remote debugger working against my Yun, and that's a requirement for you (and me!).  I strongly suspect my issue was unique problem to the Yun itself (I was remoting in via its built-in Wifi with a Bridge that connects the Atmel chip to the Atheros chip, and Sloeber could see the IP of the Yun but the Debugger could not connect to the Serial -- but it looks like most Serial connects don't work that way).  I'm going to retry Sloeber with the 101 board and update here if folks are interested. 
I do not own debugging hardware and 200 euro's is just to mutch an investment for something I don't need. I don't need it as 'm a pretty good programmer (yes that is a type of writing I'm good at ;-) ) so I get around with serial prints and local debugging/unit tests.
I only recently ironed some stuff around debugging because of someone explaining the way to do "no additional hardware debugging with ESP8266". I added zero as well.
Here is the video on how to set it up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_QTMNhaDwM&t=744s&index=16&list=PLCSjf7QmP3TDPSjT_5UIp0DHXzKdhIQsF

Even though there are more than 6000 builds a day with Sloeber it is very hard to get feedback. So yes I'm interested in your 101 experience. Feel free to report issues at github.

Best regards
Jantje
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

tommie93

I use the Geany editor for all my programming and I have written a short Python program that I can call from Geany to compile and upload programs using the command-line Arduino IDE.

...R

Try PlatformIO www.platformio.org
Hey Robin2, sstaub,

Thanks for the suggestions.

25pinjo15

I would like to see development on this thread.

I have a omen 17 inch laptop on the way (i7 9gen 12gb ram ...) and I don't know witch one to use ...
I will install visual studio community 2019 for beginning development of c# app for non arduino project and maybe later arduino project

Thanks and have a good day

suraj022

I would like to see development on this thread.

I have a omen 17 inch laptop on the way (i7 9gen 12gb ram ...) and I don't know witch one to use ...
I will install visual studio community 2019 for beginning development of c# app for non arduino project and maybe later arduino project

Thanks and have a good day
platform-ide running on atom editor is the best alternate IDE in my opinion. it has all features in arduino ide plus more advanced features like code completion native git integration etc.

25pinjo15

Go Up