Go Down

Topic: Graphics library for NodeMCU (ESP8266), ESP32 and serial+parallel TFT displays (Read 95314 times) previous topic - next topic

Stan_S

Hi,
I finally got this to work. My mistake was so stupid it is painful. When I put in my API key, I didn't delete the < & > in the quotes. After removing them it worked. I found the information on Adafruits web page a couple of days ago and tried it, but it didn't work. I went back today and compared their input to mine & realized the mistake with the API Key.
Thank you for all your help with this , I can't thank you enough.
Best Regards,
Stan

bodmer

The TFT_eSPI library has been updated to add a screen shot viewer client called "Screenshot_client" in the Tools folder.  This is a Processing sketch and it runs under Processing 3.3.

Processing is an image processing tool that has an Ardiono-like IDE. The Processing sketch can be changed to suit your own preferences.

There is also a new companion sketch called "TFT_Screen_Capture" compatible with the ILI9341 display that acts as a screenshot server and can be uploaded to an ESP8266 with connected display.  This example draws colourful graphics on the screen and then sends a screen screenshot image pulled off the TFT to the Processing client.  It takes about 3.5s to send a 240 x 320 RGB image to the PC at 921600 baud (theoretical minimum is ~2.5s).

Each screenshot is saved automatically as sequentially numbered "png" images. Other image formats are supported (e.g. jpg,tif, bmp) by commenting/uncommenting lines in the processing sketch.

At the moment the Processing screen capture client uses the serial port, another version that runs over a Wifi network connection is also in development, this promises much faster screen grabs.

Have fun, report any bugs/suggestions here.

bodmer

A couple of links to test images grabbed off the ILI9341 TFT screen, 5 pixel back border added by Processing client, png format:

Stan_S

Hi,
you have been really hard at work with this, the processing looks interesting. I am watching the videos.

I found this video on youtube, it gets weather from a noaa site:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCJHwWqE9c0

Regards,
Stan

bodmer

Thanks for the link Stan, it is another interesting project!

Stan_S

bperrybap

bodmer,
Could you turn on issue tracking for the color weatherstation project?
https://github.com/Bodmer/esp8266-weather-station-color
While I could clone it do a fix and then a pull request for an issue, I think it would be useful to enable issue reporting so that users could report issues.
The issue I have (and probably many others) is that  esp8266-weather-station-color.ino does not compile "as is".
The file "ArialRoundedMTBold_14.h" does not exist. The file in the repository is named "ArialRoundedMtBold_14.h"
so non neutered operating systems will not find the header file.
The .ino could be changed to include the actual name of the file but more than likely the real solution is to simply re-name the header file in the repository to what I assume was the intended name that has the upper-case T.

--- bill

bodmer

Hi Bill,

Issue reporting has been switched on, the project is still a WIP so some bugs are expected and the ReadMe is not very complete.

I have commented out the #include Arduino.h as that does not seem to be needed and corrected the header file name for the font, it seems that the Windows based Arduino IDE that I use (and the one used by original author - Daniel Eichhorn) is tolerant of file name letter case errors.

Thanks for your feedback.

bperrybap

Hi Bill,

Issue reporting has been switched on, the project is still a WIP so some bugs are expected and the ReadMe is not very complete.
Great. One area that would be nice to get updated in the ReadMe is the Software Requirements/Libraries.
There are a few more than what is listed.

it seems that the Windows based Arduino IDE that I use (and the one used by original author - Daniel Eichhorn) is tolerant of file name letter case errors.
It isn't the IDE, it is Windows. While NT is fully capable of handling the filename characters properly, Microsoft chose to keep the case insensitivity as a default in filenames that they inherited all the way back from MS DOS which came from CPM.
But even on Windows, there can be issues as some tools, even the Arduino IDE, will sometimes do actual filename matching/comparing without explicitly forcing all the characters in the filename to a particular case before doing the compare.
So getting the actual names correct is a good thing even on Windows.

For me it was an issue, as I rarely ever use Windows, and even when I do run it, I never let it boot or run on real hardware. I only allow Windows to run inside VMs.

--- bill

bodmer

One area that would be nice to get updated in the ReadMe is the Software Requirements/Libraries.
There are a few more than what is listed.
Yes. I'm busy at the moment but will update the ReadMe soon and probably add links to all the libraries required in the main sketch header.

bodmer

The TFT_eSPI library has been updated on Github.

The main change is that the screenshot client sketch that runs under Processing on a PC and the server sketch that runs on the ESP8266 have been upgraded to support 16 bit or 24 bit colour transfers automatically. The screen dimensions are provided to the client sketch so landscape and portrait orientations are also handled automatically now.

The screenshot capture performance has also improved so that pixels are transferred to the PC at a speed very close to the theoretical serial port limit (e.g. 1.67s for a 320x240 pixel 16 bit colour exchange at 921600 baud, and 2.5s for 24 bit pixels)

bodmer

Bill,

The weather station project ReadMe has been updated to add some more instructions and list the libraries needed.

I have had the sketch lock-up when trying to update the weather but I have not investigated why this happens, I suspect a time-out is needed if the Weather Underground website fails to provide an update on request, but this is just a guess at the moment.

Post an issue on Github if you find and/or track down any issues.

bodmer

Mar 11, 2017, 01:17 pm Last Edit: Mar 11, 2017, 04:03 pm by bodmer Reason: Add link to example
Forgot to mention that the TFT_eSPI library allows custom fonts to be added more easily. The font files are placed in a custom font folder, then added to a User_Custom_Fonts file. The new fonts can then be used in a sketch.

Custom fonts in the required "Adafruit" compatible format can be created using the utility here..

Edit: I have now added a new example for the custom fonts.

Stan_S

Hi Stan,

You will have to wait and see if the DST time is automatically applied on the correct day for your time zone :-)
Hi,
The DST worked, it set itself and the display reads EDT. The sketch has beenrunning for several weeks with no issues.

I have the plane spotter running, it is an awesome project. I live in an active flight area and it shows a lot of activity. It would be nice if it could run on a larger display like a 3.6 or 3.9 display.

The weather station sketch has also been working with no issues for a couple of weeks now.

Thanks for all your great work!!

Regards,
Stan

Go Up