Go Down

Topic: Bench power supply suggestions (Read 4405 times) previous topic - next topic

larryd

I was thinking that there has always been a lot to know but knowledge has never been as accessible as it is now.
I was thinking that there should be a way to remember the knowledge. :(

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

rpt007

Dec 28, 2016, 12:07 pm Last Edit: Dec 28, 2016, 12:14 pm by rpt007
I have AutoCAD 2015, is it not standard for cnc machines to accept AutoCAD files?
AutoCAD is just doing one single step in the production chain for CNC'ing something.

CNC machines are driven by G-Code via controllers which transfer the G-Code commands into DIR/STEP commands of the related axis (stepper motors).

The normal process to get from an idea to G-Code is:
1. Your idea or a ready design (e.g. a picture)
2. A CAD program to get your idea/design vectorized (this could be AutoCAD)
3. A CAM program to transfer the vectors into machinable code (G-Code) using the suitable tools
4. A controller (Arduino can be used for that, easiest: GRBL firmware and a G-Code sender) to translate the G-Code to machine movements per axis

I am using a professional software package (Vectric V-Carve Pro) which incorporates steps 2. and 3. and vsualizes the end product before it gets into real production -> this avoids faulty productions. But there are also cheaper software packages available with almost the same features (besides of the preview function) to start with. For step 4 I am using currently Mach3; for my new little laser CNC machine (under construction) I am planning with Arduino and GRBL firmware.

Step 3 is very essential as you have to decide:
- what tool (engraving bit (what size and angle?), (router bit to cut (what size, what shape, etc.) depending on your goal(s) and the related material, cutting depth ..
- what speed (depending on tool and material)
- sequence of production (cut out as first step is not a good idea ..)

In general: you need a good "mechanic working understanding" to get good results - if not a lot of bits will be broken, a lot of workpieces will end up in the bin.
Before you ask:
Did you really read and understand How to use this forum ?
AND:
Do you have already some solution or is a part of the problem sitting in front of the screen?  :)

ucd18

Instead of spend your money, you can used a power supply from old, unused computer. I made one some years ago. It's really convenient and stable. You have the +12V, +5, +3.3 and -5V, -12V as well. And you are able to add a multimeter  and adjustable voltage to it. Just want to share with you.

larryd

Yes those work nicely.
I have 7 of those, recycled, to be used for future projects.

Need more time, need more projects ;)

No technical PMs.

xl97

Nice job!

I have a laser cutter.. and do similar projects  (already have a bench top PS though)

I have been looking to get my feet wet with a CNC router as well... 

Like the Shapeoko's or similar.

You can engrave on metal with your machine....yes?  (one of the missing features of C02 hobby lasers!) 

larryd

Dec 29, 2016, 10:24 pm Last Edit: Dec 29, 2016, 10:24 pm by LarryD
I have a laser cutter . . .
You will have to start up a business then ;)

I can/have engraved aluminum on several occasions.
Slow but sure wins the race, carbide bits only.
I don't like aluminum though.

I have also done diamond drag on brass.

I stick to: PCB, ABS, Acrylic and wood materials.

Carbon fiber is expensive.

Finally a birthday present for my wife:

No technical PMs.

xl97

couple things:   ;)

* "You will have to start up a business then"

- haha.. I 'work (for somebody else) for a living'  :)   It definitely doesn't get used as much as it should!..  (but its also just a hobby laser 20x12 cutting envelope/40 watt tube)

I should try and use it to make solder masks/stencils with some day..  (*I have such good results using my vinyl plotter that I have never had the need to play with it)

I think the router did a good job!

* "Finally a birthday present for my wife:"
- If Mrs. 'D' really would enjoy that power supply..   you are a lucky man my friend!  haha..  My wife would have no clue what one is... much less how to use one.  And definitely thinks my hobby stuff is 'junk'..  LOL.

larryd

Mrs. D won't have a use for it so she'll have to pass it on to me ;)

"And definitely thinks my hobby stuff is 'junk'.."

Here too :(

No technical PMs.

Boardburner2

Finally a birthday present for my wife:

Mrs bored has a birthday next month.
Been wondering what to buy , You have given me an idea.  :)

larryd

Dec 31, 2016, 02:06 am Last Edit: Dec 31, 2016, 02:09 am by LarryD
Mrs bored has a birthday next month.
Been wondering what to buy , You have given me an idea.  :)
Maybe we will get a new dress, high heels and a new purse for our birthdays. ;)

Cables made, waiting for banana plugs from eBay.  Project finished:

No technical PMs.

Watcher

Dec 31, 2016, 08:50 am Last Edit: Dec 31, 2016, 08:51 am by Watcher
Well done Larry..Looks real good.

What kind of overcurrent protection did you use on outputs?

oh... and whats the db9 output used for?

larryd

Dec 31, 2016, 09:22 am Last Edit: Dec 31, 2016, 09:23 am by LarryD
The power supply has short circuit shut down built in, haven't tested them as of yet  :smiley-confuse:

Eight pins on the DB09 mirror the 8 jacks seen below the DB09 connector.
i.e. pin 1 is +5V, pin 2 is 3.3V, pin 3 is GND etc.
Therefore you can plug the 8 pin header onto a breadboard (using the gender changer) to get all supplies terminated all at once.

No technical PMs.

Watcher

The power supply has short circuit shut down built in, haven't tested them as of yet [ /quote]

Thats good to protect the power supply itself but dont you need to also limit the current for your test circuit to prevent damage in case of mistakes etc?

TKall

After some reading and comparing I decided to go with this machine:  https://shop.carbide3d.com/collections/machines/products/shapeoko-xl-kit?variant=29273233798
Just what I need, more confusion.  If only I hadn't read this thread by LarryD.

larryd

Jan 01, 2017, 05:10 am Last Edit: Jan 01, 2017, 08:48 am by LarryD
When I decide to get a major item I always: do pros and cons, look at multiple options, then wait a month or two before I bite the proverbial bullet.

I must admit it is one of the best tools I have bought, lots of fun.
I recommend you get two routers, one for a spare or to quickley change bit profiles.
Oh, and get a shop vacuum. ;)

You can: route one time PCBs, make signs, make front panels, CNC drilling, make wood working items.
There are quite a few YouTube videos.

No technical PMs.

Go Up