My Arduino UNO isn't detected by my pc

Help, my brand new Arduino UNO just arrived yesterday. So I tried it and after a lot of problems that came up (like being unable to upload), I found out that the board is not recognized by my computer. The Arduino powers up when I plug it in my computer, the green "on" LED is lit and the LED on pin 13 is blinking. I have searched everywhere, but I can't find the solution.

I've tried it on different OS's and PCs but still not detected on any of them.

On Windows (xp, 7, 10):
It does not show on the device manager, no unknown device or anything that would point to my Arduino. When I plug my Arduino in the DM won't refresh and show any signs of my Arduino being connected. It also doesn't do that "USB plugged in" sound when I plug my Arduino.

On Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS):
It does not show up when I run dmesg on the terminal. No ttyACM0 or ttyUSB0.

I also tried:

• changing the cable with a brand new one, still not working.
  • updating USB drivers on my Windows 10.

Please help, I'm afraid of this being broken since I'm just a student and I spent my savings on this :frowning: . Thanks in advanced :slight_smile: .

Where did you buy it (include link)
Post pictures of both sides of the board (decent quality ones)
Is there anything at all showing in device manager (unknown devices etc) include screen shot.

I bought it online from this site.

Here are the images:

My Windows 10 currently has a problem in booting after I played with some things in the device manager.

But in Linux when I type lsusb in the terminal while the arduino is plugged, only these shows up. Yep, no signs of the board to me.

"But in Linux when I type lsusb in the terminal while the arduino is plugged, only these shows up. Yep, no signs of the board to me."

If "dmesg" "tail /var/log/syslog" or "lsusb" doesn't show your board after you plug it in, you have a bad Usb port or cable or Arduino.

You should see something like this.

$ tail /var/log/syslog

Dec 30 11:17:19 hawk kernel: [ 7494.579111] usb 4-2: new full-speed USB device number 17 using ohci-pci
Dec 30 11:17:20 hawk kernel: [ 7494.758144] usb 4-2: New USB device found, idVendor=2341, idProduct=0043
Dec 30 11:17:20 hawk kernel: [ 7494.758156] usb 4-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=220
Dec 30 11:17:20 hawk kernel: [ 7494.758164] usb 4-2: Manufacturer: Arduino (www.arduino.cc)
Dec 30 11:17:20 hawk kernel: [ 7494.758169] usb 4-2: SerialNumber: 9543231313835111B092
Dec 30 11:17:20 hawk kernel: [ 7494.760385] cdc_acm 4-2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
Dec 30 11:17:20 hawk mtp-probe: checking bus 4, device 17: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb4/4-2"
Dec 30 11:17:20 hawk mtp-probe: bus: 4, device: 17 was not an MTP device

I thought i had the same problem, but then i pushed the usb cable harder in the genuino UNO and then it worked. I guess i didnt pushed it far enough in the usb slot on the genuino UNO.

kprims:
If "dmesg" "tail /var/log/syslog" or "lsusb" doesn't show your board after you plug it in, you have a bad Usb port or cable or Arduino.

In case of a bad arduino, is there any work around on this?

(deleted)

Even I have the same problem. If u get it solved , pls let me know also. someone told me to check LOOP BACK TESt.

Just follow the instructions in the following link.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,73748.0.html

See if it works or not.

help me this error is shown by my pc i cant upload any skettch

Arduino: 1.8.0 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7a
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Have u inserted cable into arduino properly. U should get tick sound when insert properly. Even I had the

same problem. Now it is working fine in my case.

Hi there,

I just bought an Arduino Starter Kit this morning and thought I was running into the same problem on installation -- I plugged in the board (via USB), heard the hardward connect sound, got LEDs flashing on the board, but didn't see a device driver installation dialog or have any new entries appear under Device Manager.

Regardless, I think everything is working. For if I start the Arduino IDE and do the following:

1. Select 'Port' from the 'Tools' menu, my Arduino device is listed in COM3. Select the entry.
  2. Now select 'Get Board Info' from the 'Tools' menu. When I do this on my computer, I get the PID, VID, and SN of my board.

I don't think (1) would have returned anything if the computer couldn't detect the Arduino. And (2) wouldn't have returned anything if the computer couldn't communicate with the board.

You had mentioned that you don't get the USB insertion sound when plugging into your computer, so there might very well be something wrong with your board. I hope that's not the case :slight_smile:

Darryl

EDIT: Just one more note. When I had initially installed the Arduino IDE, I had done so via the Microsoft Store. I have since uninstalled this version, downloaded the Windows executable and ran it while Arduino was plugged into the my computer. During the install Windows detected the device and asked if I wanted to install drivers for it. I did so and now see Arduino listed as COM3 under Device Manager's 'Ports (COM and LPT)' entry.

jmebia:
Help, my brand new Arduino UNO just arrived yesterday. So I tried it and after a lot of problems that came up (like being unable to upload), I found out that the board is not recognized by my computer. The Arduino powers up when I plug it in my computer, the green "on" LED is lit and the LED on pin 13 is blinking. I have searched everywhere, but I can't find the solution.

I've tried it on different OS's and PCs but still not detected on any of them.

On Windows (xp, 7, 10):
It does not show on the device manager, no unknown device or anything that would point to my Arduino. When I plug my Arduino in the DM won't refresh and show any signs of my Arduino being connected. It also doesn't do that "USB plugged in" sound when I plug my Arduino.

On Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS):
It does not show up when I run dmesg on the terminal. No ttyACM0 or ttyUSB0.

I also tried:

• changing the cable with a brand new one, still not working.
  • updating USB drivers on my Windows 10.

Please help, I'm afraid of this being broken since I'm just a student and I spent my savings on this :frowning: . Thanks in advanced :slight_smile: .

I am facing the same issue . have tried all the steps like changing port or USB cables .tried on win8 32&64 bit OS as well as xubuntu20.04 os but the Arduino Uno r3 is not showing up on any system.I worked with the same board on win8 32 bit initially when it was new.all of a sudden it's undetectable.
Kindly include me in the resolution of this.My board looks ok as the green led is on when connected .also yellow led remain on when connected.I had uploaded some sketches on it previously .so everything looks fine but still it's undetectable.