Go Down

Topic: Share tips you have come across (Read 145030 times) previous topic - next topic

ballscrewbob

That is often my approach but clearly much better documented.

Thanks as always Larry for these tips.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

ElCaron

Dec 31, 2019, 05:51 pm Last Edit: Dec 31, 2019, 05:52 pm by ElCaron
I used a Chinese acrylic glass laser cutting service for the first time and I am quite happy with the result (cover plates for wall thermostat project).

I had quite complicated ideas in mind about 3d printing covers, but I think this is much better than anything I could have printed.

larryd

How about a link to where you got this done.

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

ElCaron

How about a link to where you got this done.
Wasn't sure if that was seen as advertisement. I had this done at Elecrow. They also do PCBs that I am quite happy with and seem to arrive a little earlier in Germany than Seeedstudio.

larryd

Jan 03, 2020, 09:38 am Last Edit: Jan 03, 2020, 10:14 am by larryd
LED 'Breadboard Helper'.

You can make an 8 LED board to speed up prototyping on your solderless breadboard.

Discussed below, is an 8 coloured LED board and a series resistor board.

Images show a 'Common Cathode' circuit, 'HIGH' on Arduino outputs will turn on these LEDs.

If single colour LEDs are used, you can rotate the LED board 180° and move the resistor common to +5V for 'Common Anode'.

50Pcs SMD To DIP PCB Pinboard 0805 0603 0402 LED SMT 20.3*10mm Board    (50 for ~$4.00)

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/50Pcs-SMD-To-DIP-PCB-Pinboard-0805-0603-0402-LED-SMT-20-3-10mm-Board/312911841778

Even though these adapter boards do not say 1206, you can solder 1206 LEDs on them (magnification helps ;) )

LED     Resistor
White   4700Ω
Red     2200Ω
Green   1200Ω
Blue    4700Ω
Yellow  2200Ω

No technical PMs.

wilykat

I prefer my version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtXAMXK3br0&feature=youtu.be

Closeup of the modules.

Resistors are on bottom (SMD), can be made common anode or common cathode.  Quick for checking Arduino's output.  I had a few old 20 LED bargraph but also fits 2x 10 LED bargraph.  Headers are all on one side so I can just mount them on the side of the breadboard.

larryd

Jan 25, 2020, 01:21 am Last Edit: Jan 25, 2020, 09:12 pm by larryd
If you purchase a board like a Buck Converter 'and' the board doesn't have components on one side, you can use it as a Castellated daughter card on a PCB you design.

Use a table sander to take off the edge(s) of the PCB where the through solder holes are located.

For insulation/isolation purposes, place Kapton tape on the flat underside of this PCB.

When 1/2 of the buck converter hole is removed, solder the remaining plated through hole to the motherboard's pads.

On a none castellated edge, tack the daughterboard to the motherboard, use UV glue.

No technical PMs.

larryd

Jan 25, 2020, 11:31 pm Last Edit: Jan 28, 2020, 12:00 am by larryd
You can use 'Solder Wick' to manually generate a small-scale solder wave.

PCB factories use a solder wave method to solder plated-through hole PCBs.

This can be accomplished on a much smaller scale with a 'Gull Wing' soldering iron tip.

Continued in the next post . . .

No technical PMs.

larryd

Jan 25, 2020, 11:31 pm Last Edit: Jan 28, 2020, 08:38 am by larryd
We have all used solder wick to remove excess solder from electronic component leads.

By reversing the process, you can use solder wick to apply a controlled amount of solder to small fine pitch components.

Use a magnetic hold down tool to anchor your component to the PCB.

Add a drop of liquid flux to the leads.

Melt a 'small' blob of solder on the end of a piece of solder wick; small being the operative word.

Add a drop of liquid flux to the blob, heat with a soldering iron.

When the blob melts, slowly drag/pull the solder wick blob over the component leads; the leads take only the amount of solder they need.

Add more solder to the end of the solder wick as needed.

Experiment with different widths of solder wick to see what works best for you; 2mm wide wick is used in these images.

Going to refer to this from now on as the: SW2 soldering technique (SolderWick/SolderWave).  :)

Melt the blob, pull the wick over the leads.

No technical PMs.

larryd

Jan 28, 2020, 08:28 am Last Edit: Jan 28, 2020, 08:35 am by larryd
There are two kinds of 90' male headers available.

I prefer the the header in the 1st image as it has a lower profile.

No technical PMs.

larryd

Jan 29, 2020, 06:18 am Last Edit: Jan 29, 2020, 06:20 am by larryd
Further to posts #713 & #714

Another example:

No technical PMs.

terryking228

Hi Larry,  IPA := Isopropyl Alcohol  ?? Like to be SURE with chemicals... THANKS!
Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

larryd

Jan 29, 2020, 06:11 pm Last Edit: Jan 29, 2020, 09:59 pm by larryd
Hi Terry, hope the family is well, better stay out of China for a while :(.

Yes IPA is Isopropyl Alcohol (99% from  Costco)

Use an old electric toothbrush with the IPA to get in between component leads.

Rinse with water.

Use 'hot air handheld soldering wand' to dry PCB (or your wife's hair dryer ;) ).

Always use a good magnifier to inspect for solder bridges.    

No technical PMs.

terryking228

Jan 30, 2020, 02:36 am Last Edit: Jan 30, 2020, 02:46 am by terryking228
hope the family is well, better stay out of China for a while :(.
Worried about our good friend/partner Jun Peng and his wife and children.  They traveled back 'home' to Hunan province and are with their parents / grandparents. He said "Yes I am in PingJiang where is safe though isolated now, many roads are blocked, most of the people stay home."

The mix of Technology, Ideas and People I love seems to encompass a smaller and smaller World. We're in this together, now.   I have stayed at his grandparents farmhouse several times in the past 10 years. It looks like this:

Mary Alice is showing kids this for Chinese New Year in her library in Vermont: (CLICK)
Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

Go Up