Share tips you have come across

Sometimes it is difficult to marry up a motor to hardware.

Standoffs can be a good way to attach a motor shaft to a threaded rod.

Standoffs come in 2-56, 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, 3 - 4 mm and others.

The following shows one way to accomplish the above.

Edit:
See post 307 also.

You can of course add extra items to detect when the traveler reaches limits.

work area surfaces.

As shown, don't you wind up with static-prone (silicone, teflon) plastics next to your actual chips?
(I guess silicone and teflon are right next to each other in the triboelectric series, but... All those different materials make me really nervous!)

@westfw

Actually I was trying to save on image attachments there.

The surfaces I want to work with are brought in at the time I need them.
The anti-static mat is always there though.

BTW
The top surface is the stainless steel covered with Teflon.
This surface is the one usually used as the magnetic tools, clamps etc. need the SS.
On the bottom of this surface, I am covering the SS about 1 inch (fold over) which is taped on all four sides.
This leaves the majority of the steel exposed to touch the anti-static mat.

Never had problems with static affecting components.
It is very dry here.

When using your hot air wand, protect the surrounding components from heat damage.

Aluminum foil tape link

Use heat shrink to color code toggle switches.

2 Likes

Moving that USB power adaptor around can be a real pain.
Consider replacing your workbench outlet(s) with one that integrates a 3.1 amp USB jack.

https://www.lowes.ca/electrical-outlets/legrand-radiant-15-amp-125-volt-white-indoor-decorator-wall-outletusb_g2603912.html?searchTerm=usb

PowerUSB.png

What's a source for that timer? I've seen ones that can schedule on/off times be not one like that.

On the subject of power strips, you can get ones with sockets that are rotatable or spaced out so that you have options for fitting in those stupid fat wall warts that come in 100 different shapes and sizes and can never fit together on normal power strips.

Also with individual outlet switches.

Wall Timer.

'Can' supply inductive loads:
Timer 1 link

Not sure if this one can supply inductive loads though:
Time 2 link

Someone asked the source of the crimper used in this thread.

Stay away from the cheaper ones on eBay.

This is the one used:

The Yellow one was purchased at a local store, cannot remember which one.

Further to post 297.

Angle bracket:

Where do you get Kapton tape? I'd like to use some to hold components on the bottom of PCBs while reflowing the tops, just in case, but it's really pricey at Digikey & Mouser.

CrossRoads:
Where do you get Kapton tape? I'd like to use some to hold components on the bottom of PCBs while reflowing the tops, just in case, but it's really pricey at Digikey & Mouser.

I got some a while back on Amazon but they are out of stock right now.

Looks like there are lots of options though.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kapton+tape&sprefix=kapton%2Caps%2C169&crid=AOKIWPJ6NH2V

This one is fulfilled by Amazon so you should get it right away in the US.
1 Mil Kapton Tape (Polyimide) - 1" x 36 yds.
https://www.amazon.com/Mil-Kapton-Tape-Polyimide-yds/dp/B006ZFNB2I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1489170378&sr=8-7&keywords=kapton+tape

1 Mil Kapton Tape (Polyimide) - 1/2" X 36 Yds
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ZFQNT6?m=A1RYF7WY9L3HL5&ref_=v_sp_detail_page

4" x 36 yds - 1 Mil Kapton Tape Polyimide Tape
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATRYG86?m=A1RYF7WY9L3HL5&ref_=v_sp_detail_page

Items "Fulfilled by Amazon" are offered by a third-party seller, but shipped from an Amazon Fulfillment Center to you.

Just thinking out loud, if the components are soldered on one side then cooled.
Then you turn the board over and place it on ceramic posts/tiles/spacers, will the surface tension hold the comeponets on the underside to the PCB?

If you use a setup like this, the bottom side (opposite to the controller side) could be done manually, shouldn't take more than a few minutes per board. :wink:

"will the surface tension hold the comeponets on the underside to the PCB?"
Supposedly - but I'm gonna have 20 pin SMD connectors, those are pretty hefty, I don't want them dropping off or sliding around if things aren't quite flat. Some examples (haven't ordered yet);

I'll take a look at the Amazon links, thanks.
I suppose once soldered, I could use a piece of perfboard to hold them in position in the oven as well, then it'd just be the one chip, cd74HC4050, to worry about.
The MegaDip/MegaWeeeny has a lot more parts, the biggest being the 3.3V regulator in a DPAK, I don't want that falling off either.

Your pic - you mean just to elevate board? Yes, I have a stack of ~ 30mm square boards that I use for spacers to hold the boards off the tray we use in the oven.

Those SMD connectors are expensive. I'm gonna try just right angle breakaway male headers as well.

That looks a lot more reasonable!

Yes, for elevation.

Hum, I assumed you would solder the headers by hand, after the SMD components were soldered.

Trying to get away from that since the '4050 needs soldering too. Apply past to the board, plunk down three parts, stick it in the oven. Done. Way faster than 56 solder joints by hand.

MegaDip/MegaWeeny, that will be done by hand. Needed holes to accept either male or female headers of different pin lengths, the SMD pads need a lot of room, and the board was already 8/10ths wide. Folks can install what they want, keep it down to a 2-step assembly process, or we'll charge a little more and solder whatever on as a 3rd step.

CrossRoads:

Try the makerbot suppliers.

They have this up to 12" wide and will often supply cut lengths.

Kapton has never been that cheap but i found makerbot much cheaper than RS.

Amazon is good enough, and free shipping with Amazon Prime account. I'm only after 1/2" and 1" to make sure SMD parts don't fall off boards that in that range of width.

Worse part is, I have twice bought small rolls at my "local" supplier (45 minute drive away) and we can't find it. Will likely show up as soon as Buy is pressed at the Amazon site ...