Go Down

Topic: IDE causes high cpu / fan usage (Read 9687 times) previous topic - next topic

ballscrewbob

Currently have 14 boards LIVE COM PORTS on one box including a GRBL based CNC machine pouring it heart out over serial at the fastest rate it can.
Other boxes too dont show signs of issues here either.

That doesnt help you I know but it does add a little context to serial port usage.

I am pretty sure it is something very specific to your set ups.
Be that security or some other policy I am not sure.
With so many boxes available it may well be worth setting up a full admin  profile on one (or using the hidden admin account) without any forms of security or other restrictions to see if that helps at all.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Oldschool_Tubes

Hello Makers,

I had the same Issue with newer versions of the IDE.
Processes with High CPU load were javaw.exe and services.exe.  
After some hours and this thread I found a solution for me.

I had a COM-Port not listet in the Device Manager in Ports (COM & LPT) but it shows up in the IDE and hterm and when you execute in the command line:

reg query HKLM\hardware\devicemap\serialcomm

The IDE tried to scan it over and over.

In my case it was a modem.
Bluetooth devices or Hardlocks can also register as COM-Ports.

After deactivating the modem in Device Manager everything works fine and the COM port is not showing up anymore.

Im unter IDE 1.8.3 and WinXP, Java 8 Build 151.

swilkens

Oct 12, 2018, 08:09 pm Last Edit: Oct 16, 2018, 02:32 pm by swilkens
Adding to this, I see similar behavior as Oldschool_Tubes. Created an account to post my findings, though I've been using the IDE since 1.0.

Windows: 8.1
Arduino IDE: 1.8.7

Opening the IDE:

Overview of processes showing Java thread being the culprit and Arduino IDE being the only Java process:

Closing the IDE:

ballscrewbob

Laptops dont set a good precedent except against other laptops.

Nor does the slower CPU used in your tests.

Useful information for some maybe.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

WacKEDmaN

Oct 17, 2018, 02:53 am Last Edit: Oct 17, 2018, 02:54 am by WacKEDmaN
same issues here..the IDE if left running for a while will max out 1 CPU core (on quad core system)..and not goto idle until the process is terminated..this pushes up both temps and fan speed/fan noise

this is defiantly an IDE issue..nothing to do with antivirus, or dustbunnys or any of that BS that screwballbob suggests...its an error in the IDE coding as it never used to do it with an older version (1.8.4 iirc) of the IDE...

ballscrewbob

OK I will bite LOL

1. NEVER MENTIONED "dustbunnys" (that came from left field like your whole comment) ;)

2. AV has been proven over and over again to reduce speed of compiles but don't take my word for it do your own search.

3. Quad here and don't see those types of results. However I do keep a lean system that many don't.

My "BS" as you put it is based on enough experience to know a little different to your banal statement.

WacKEDmaN

Another real easy one with higher than average CPU fan usage is dust bunnies.
Just throwing that one out there.

just to refresh your memory...

im not talking about compiling or anything like that....im talking about the IDE just sitting there in the background being open.... leave it running on your system for 24hrs or more and watch the 100% core usage for yourself..

currently after restarting the IDE its sayin 0% while its in the background.....ill leave it open for the night and show that its maxing out one core...

ballscrewbob

My apology I missed that.  :-[
However it is more than a valid point, more so on a laptop with such limited space and airflow.

At this side I can PEAK the usage during a compile start to around 50% for a very short period.
But this is a full box not a lappy.

Good edit btw I was looking for that IDE version you originally quoted.

WacKEDmaN

Oct 17, 2018, 03:35 pm Last Edit: Oct 17, 2018, 04:01 pm by WacKEDmaN
less than 24hrs later...

IDE has just been sitting there in the background for the last 3hrs (been running for about 12hrs..disregard the info in the status, that compile was done about 3hrs previous)..usage was 0% when i left it...then all of a sudden i notice fans spin up and never spin down...and its maxing out a core..

this is also a full desktop system..not a laptop...

ballscrewbob

Oct 17, 2018, 03:39 pm Last Edit: Oct 17, 2018, 03:45 pm by ballscrewbob
Odd that its just one core as mine spreads the load out across all four.

AMD bulldozer here at 3.5 GHz (yes its old)

Have you optimised your cores ?

EDIT

Also win 7x64 pro not the resource hungry win 10 ;)
Not fired up my 10 test box.
See you still have some of the win 10 bloatware running too  :smiley-eek:

WacKEDmaN

Oct 17, 2018, 04:20 pm Last Edit: Oct 17, 2018, 04:33 pm by WacKEDmaN
always uses one core...always has..it'll use more cores during compilation..but the IDE itself has only ever used one core
on intel here...
never heard of optimizing cores (and i do pc repairs on both software and hardware sides for a living)..do tell more...i cant find anythin on google even...
all my other apps that are multi threaded work perfectly fine...without "optimized cores"

if the IDE is doing this on single core cpu...it would be taxing the whole system, probably locking it up entirely

system specs which may or may not help
intel i5-750 @ 3.4ghz (yes old but only just starting to show its age in latest games)
16Gb DDR3 1333
gtx760
ample hdd space

btw what would you consider bloatware from whats shown in my taskman list? dont say the anti malware service exe...its what i choose to use after finding every other antivirus software on the market slows the system even more than M$s antivirus

ballscrewbob

Oct 17, 2018, 04:35 pm Last Edit: Oct 17, 2018, 04:51 pm by ballscrewbob
Odd that you have never optimized processes for CPU's as I too have a little over 30 years in IT including roll outs for such as Home Hardware, on call etc etc etc.

Google found plenty of hits BTW

Specs look fine.

But lets be fair here we both have different hardware and as IT people we both know full well that even two similar systems can perform completely different in the field.

We also both know from being in IT that some programs are set up well OOB for multi core and others are not and may need assistance.

EDIT bloatware "CORTANA" for one is not needed on a lean system. There are hundreds of topics about streamlining win 10 for better response times that I am sure you are aware of.

EDIT 2  No doubt you have seen the black viper stuff but JIC you missed it.

WacKEDmaN

Oct 17, 2018, 04:54 pm Last Edit: Oct 17, 2018, 05:03 pm by WacKEDmaN
optimizing cores.. or optimizing programs for multi threading? that sounds like two completely different things...yes i know about optimizing MY OWN programs....but i cannot optimize the IDE without trawling through the source..which im not being paid to do!!

im am aware of win10 tweaks and have alot in place...cortana, if you look is in suspended mode..and i use its search function...so its not bloatware for me..win10 is just as fast as win7 was on my system for everything i run..the win10 hate is obvious...

but alas..this is not fixing the issue at hand...

there IS an issue in the IDE that needs addressing
hopefully someone in the know can take a look and provide a fix in the next update..

ballscrewbob

but alas..this is not fixing the issue at hand...
True however some of the more simple things have been pointed out, and dissed by you as BS which is clearly not the case.

I am left with "physician, heal thyself"

WacKEDmaN

Oct 17, 2018, 05:24 pm Last Edit: Oct 17, 2018, 05:25 pm by WacKEDmaN
if it was the simple things.. id have found the issue by now.. :eyeroll:

a) its not a/v..ide still maxes core after some time with a/v off..
b) dust doesnt cause a core to max out..
c) no modem, bluetooth, no virus or malware

after rereading the entire thread i see theres actually 2 different issues here... one pegs the cpu just on running the IDE...and the other issue is that the IDE is pegging a core at random times after its been idle for hours...

Go Up