Go Down

Topic: Poll on Favorite Arduino Board (Read 2694 times) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

Jan 20, 2017, 04:38 pm Last Edit: Jan 20, 2017, 04:40 pm by CrossRoads
I prefer Atmega1284P based boards. 32 IO, dual hardware serial ports, 16K SRAM, DIP for thruhole projects, 44 TQFP is pretty easy to place on SMD boards as well.
I start a lot of custom projects based on one of these designs:
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Vulcan666

I prefer Atmega1284P based boards. 32 IO, dual hardware serial ports, 16K SRAM, DIP for thruhole projects, 44 TQFP is pretty easy to place on SMD boards as well.
I start a lot of custom projects based on one of these designs:

Wow!  That looks pretty cool.  I have only experimented with the, Leonardo, Due, Mega 2560, and the Uno.  Hopefully I'll start expanding to more boards soon!

Thanks for your vote!

Robin2

I prefer Atmega1284P based boards.
I have been assuming that your boards are not available in the UK at a reasonable price. Am I correct?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Boardburner2

I have been assuming that your boards are not available in the UK at a reasonable price. Am I correct?

...R
They are available at a price in the UK. (fairly expensive about 60 to 70).
Much cheaper from China if you are prepared to wait.

Robin2

They are available at a price in the UK. (fairly expensive about 60 to 70).
Much cheaper from China if you are prepared to wait.
That's what I suspected. I have no immediate requirement but if they were available at a similar price as in the US I could see myself considering them. And I have no patience for waiting for delivery from China.

Thanks.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

westfw

I liked the duemilanove.  Uno added some features that have really justfield their cost.
Where do you buy your boards?  I can get a good Uno for around $6 dollars
Well, I have a large number of bare Freeduino prototype PCBs, which are essentially a Duemilanove clone, as a result of having been involved with that project.  But mostly, while the duemilanove might have been my "favorite", I don't have any objections about using whatever is available easily NOW.  So I've got Unos, Nano clones, and Atmel Xplained Minis, and 1284 boards, a Mega 1280, a MegaADK (from when it was On Sale at RadioShack!), an ITeaduino Due, and Sparkfun SAMD21 board, some digisparks, some MDC Bare Bones Boards, and more...

msssltd

I have one. I thought it was going to be the best thing since sliced bread. But I was disillusioned very quickly.   IMHO the Arduino folk made a complete mess of it by making the Linux side subservient to the Leonardo side. Jeez, it doesn't even have a spare HardwareSerial port.
I can only agree. 

At least you can upload sketches wirelessly, avoiding the infuriation of the Leonardo's USB port vanishing on reset.   AFAIC it would make a great deal more sense to have paired a Linux SoC with a Mega 2560.  The Yun shield looks interesting but it is still bound by the diabolical latency of the bridge interface, as far as I know.  The Tre, well yeah, worse money I ever spent - Least said the better.

When I get some time off paying work, I want to try linking a Raspi to a Pro Mini.

msssltd

I drooled over a Tre when i first read about them. still not 100% sure what about them failed.
Probably not the official line but as far as I can tell, Tre development got left in limbo by the company split and the Raspi 3 came along and outmoded the BBB.

I think my dream board would be some sort of Rpi, with 5V logic levels, and tons of I/O. then i would just have to figure out how to program it :D
I was thinking broadly along the lines of using a serial protocol between a Raspi and Arduino, maybe with sqlite providing the data bridge for applications.  

As for programming the Pi, WiringPi was developed by one of my old scuba diving buddies.  Gordon also ported his BASIC interpreter to the Pi and added a GPIO library, which he makes available for free as RTB (Return to BASIC).

pYro_65

I must say, I have used the Uno (ATmega 328p) the most. Although the mega definitely has its place.

I would not have been able to create my graphics lib without the mega. youtube.
Forum Mod anyone?
https://arduino.land/Moduino/

Vulcan666

:o  that's a lot of Arduino's!  :o

I don't reember how many i have, but no where near that many.

some UNO's, MEGA 2560's, Micro's, and an Esplora (I was curious).

~Travis
I have 4 megas, 4 unos, 1 leonardo, and 1 Due.  That's ten boards, although I messup 1 mega and 1 uno.  They are really weird and u can't program hem normally, but I might be able to using this instruction--http://robotic-controls.com/learn/arduino/arduino-arduino-serial-communication  it bypasses the programming port which is totally blown.

Vulcan666

Jan 22, 2017, 05:49 am Last Edit: Jan 22, 2017, 06:13 am by Vulcan666
you blew up your programming port? you didn't let the smoke out did you? if you did, i hope you captured it to put it back in. ;)

as it says in the signature line of @TomGeorge
~Travis
Why would I do that? It's much more fun to try to figure out how to program my arduino without using the programming port! :)   Besides, capturing the smoke might prove somewhat problematic :) As for getting it back in my board, well no one less than the mighty Rocket (Racoon) could do that! :)   If you lost your brain in a quagmire and don't know who that is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SAR-QmFiPY

ChrisTenone

Why would I do that? It's much more fun to try to figure out how to program my arduino without using the programming port! :)   Besides, capturing the smoke might prove somewhat problematic :) As for getting it back in my board, well no one less than the mighty Rocket (Racoon) could do that! :)   If you lost your brain in a quagmire and don't know who that is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SAR-QmFiPY
Once it's out, forget the board. Just inhale...
What, I need to say something else too?

Robin2

Once it's out, forget the board. Just inhale...
LOL.

I nearly choked  :)

...R

Boardburner2

Jan 25, 2017, 10:45 pm Last Edit: Jan 25, 2017, 10:52 pm by Boardburner2
1 each UNO, DUE, mega and mega ADK.
6 clone NANO's left , which are the ones i most commonly use for applications.

Lots of buffer chips as well which have saved my bacon a few times.
Often thought about building a universal board which could accept all of the above boards and plug in buffer chips to use as 'fuses' for development.
Would need a lot of configuration switches though i think.
Not checked but wondered if Bob has something similar.

Go Up