Go Down

Topic: Arduino Pro Micro usb midi and hadrware serial midi (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

capicoso

Hi. I've been using arduino for quite a time, but then moved to teensy. Now I'm again using arduino boards and I'm new to the atmega32u4 which uses the arduino pro micro. I wasn't even aware of the midiUsb library.
My question is: Can I use usb MIDI and at the same time the serial port for hardware MIDI? I want to know before I buy one. If not, I could use software Serial for MIDI, but I would need to do some changes.
thanks

Grumpy_Mike

Can I use usb MIDI and at the same time the serial port for hardware MIDI?
No.

I could use software Serial for MIDI,
No.

Grumpy_Mike

gdsports

Can I use usb MIDI and at the same time the serial port for hardware MIDI?
Just for the record, on ATMEGA32U4 boards such as SparkFun Pro Micro, Arduino Leonardo/Micro, or Adafruit Itsy Bitsy 32u4, the USB port and the UART port can be used at the same time. For MIDI or other hings.

The following is my take on an Arduino MIDI USB to UART bi-directional converter. For the hardware, an ATMEGA32U4 board, DIN connectors, opto-isolator, resistors, etc. are needed for a DIY converter.

https://github.com/gdsports/MIDIUARTUSB

Grumpy_Mike

Yes the situation has changed since the beginning of last year when I posted this. Now the USBMIDI libiary supports serial at the same time as MIDI. I have been using it myself only this last week.

The Teensy has always supported multiple USB end points.

TheKikGen

You can use Software serial to any pins but hardware RX and TX, dedicated to USB.
Totally doable for a MIDI OUT. For a midi IN, it depends on what you have to parse.
What is your project ?

gdsports

Note that on the Leonardo, the Serial class refers to USB (CDC) communication; for TTL serial on pins 0 and 1, use the Serial1 class.
Leonardo with ATMEGA32u4 has native USB which is connected to the micro USB connector. This is used for serial console and pluggable USB. It also has 1 hardware TTL UART controller. Both ports can be used for full duplex MIDI at the same time.

Go Up