Go Down

Topic: Reporting to Moderator (Read 4040 times) previous topic - next topic

quilkin

Hi, just wondering what happens if I click on 'Report to Moderator' and fill in then send the text box. Should I expect a response at some stage?

CrossRoads

I don't usually respond, I just do something to address the problem, like ban a poster and delete some spam that made it thru.
There are too many incorrectly used occurrences of Report to Moderator, most are ignored.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

quilkin

From the forum guidelines:
A little courtesy and politeness goes a long way....... Personal insults are not acceptable
...so I reported about two posts which ignored these rules. One was the first reply to the first post from a newbie. It said that code that the OP had (correctly) posted made him 'look stupid' and that another line of code 'sucks'. Neither comment was relevant to the question the OP had asked. Also, English clearly wasn't the OP's first language.

Was that an incorrect use of the reporting method?

Delta_G

Jan 26, 2017, 01:24 am Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017, 01:24 am by Delta_G
They usually don't do anything about trivial little stuff like that.  This isn't the Dr. Phil forum.  These are programmers.  They're not particularly known for their people skills.  They tend to be a bit direct and logical. 

If something gets truly abusive someone will usually step in.  But just because someone is a little too thin skinned or touchy and gets their feelings hurt over something small doesn't usually get any response from them.

That's been my experience at least.  I'm not trying to speak for the mod nor am I one.  That's just what I have observed in my time here.
|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

pert

There are too many incorrectly used occurrences of Report to Moderator, most are ignored.
Would you be willing to provide some examples of what's considered incorrect use of the "Report to moderator" button?

Coding Badly

Would you be willing to provide some examples of what's considered incorrect use of the "Report to moderator" button?
Human clicked Report to Moderator but clearly meant to click Reply.  Happens often.

Coding Badly

Jan 26, 2017, 07:19 am Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017, 07:22 am by Coding Badly
Was that an incorrect use of the reporting method?
No.

A non-zero percent of the population can actually look past serious insults as long as help is being provided.  A smaller percent even responds well to serious insults as a teaching method.  (No, I am not joking.  This is backed by peer reviewed studies.)  As moderators we have to know when to censor the serious insults.

A non-zero percent of the population finds insult when the person providing help does not provide a complete ready-to-use solution.  (No, I am not joking.)  As moderators we have no know when to eject such people if they become toxic.

The majority of people fall somewhere in the middle.  They will tolerate minor insults as long as they get what they want.  Some will even find minor insults similar to locker room banter and appreciate the comradery.

As moderators we sometimes have to wait until the original poster responds to know where they fall on that spectrum.  That is very likely true with the two reports you created.

In either case a "heads up" is appreciated.

quilkin

Thanks, I'm glad if my comment was appreciated, but it would have been good to know that without having to ask in this thread.
I have used many programming forums in the past, most if not all of them for professional rather than amateur users, and have never come across so many rude, sarcastic, belittling comments as I have done on this one after a couple of weeks' use.
I wonder how many newbies just give up after getting a rude comment to their first try at asking a  programming question?

Coding Badly

Jan 26, 2017, 07:31 pm Last Edit: Jan 28, 2017, 06:55 am by Coding Badly
Thanks, I'm glad if my comment was appreciated, but it would have been good to know that without having to ask in this thread.
We are uncompensated volunteers.  None of us has time to respond to every Report to Moderator.

The information you sought is already available on this forum.  None of us has time to teach every new user how to use Google.

Your failure to find the information you sought does not constitute a communications failure on our part.

I have used many programming forums in the past, most if not all of them for professional rather than amateur users, and have never come across so many rude, sarcastic, belittling comments as I have done on this one after a couple of weeks' use.
The best method to offset such things is for YOU to participate.

larryd

Jan 26, 2017, 09:20 pm Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017, 09:22 pm by Coding Badly
"I wonder how many newbies just give up after getting a rude comment to their first try at asking a  programming question?"

I wonder how many newbies come here to take and have no intention of ever giving back to this community.

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

Robin2

I fully support the approach outlined by @CodingBadly in Reply #6

In my experience the problems usually start when a newbie takes offence although none was intended. I am very far from perfect and I don't expect other people to be perfect either. And this is a Forum for grown-ups.

If someone does not like the way something has been expressed the first thing to do is to use their next Reply to tell the person concerned without being even more offensive than the alleged offence they believe they have suffered. Responding with moderation is the best way to expose unacceptable behaviour. It is also deals with the situation where no offense had been intended.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

quilkin

We are uncompensated volunteers.  None of us has time to respond to every Report to Moderator.
That seems odd, there must be fewer of these reports than actual posts, and posts tend to get replies very quickly, often from a  moderator. In fact I have to say that the speed of responses to posts is one of the great things about this forum.
The information you sought is already available on this forum.  None of us has time to teach every new user how to use Google.
Not sure what you mean here, I did read though the moderation guidelines but didn't see anything about how moderators should respond to reports. Maybe I missed something.
The best method to offset such things is for YOU to participate.
As I have been doing, and intend to continue doing so. Not far to go to my 100 posts now, and (apart from the question in this particular post) I think I've only asked one question but answered several (or, at least, tried to).

Robin2

answered several (or, at least, tried to).
Great. Thanks (seriously).

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

AWOL

Only just found this thread - sorry.

Like @Coding Badly, I rarely reply to the reporter or on the reported thread, unless (and it happens) the reporter has a particular axe to grind with another member, and is reporting something from months or even years back, or unless there is something particularly noteworthy about the report.

Most reports are simply requests to move misplaced posts  - wrong language, inappropriate section etc. The members who typically send these reports know that we know who they are,  and that we are grateful to them.

Go Up