avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c Arduino Nano

Hi! I have written some code telling a car to reverse and turn when it's about to hit a wall, but whenever I try to upload to my Arduino Nano V3.0 it comes up with the error message:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c

I have tried to google it and it seems there are a lot of errors like mine, and I tried those solutions, however none of them have worked. Attached is a full copy of my code.

Wall_dodging_car.ino (2.96 KB)

Sorry I forgot to add my operating system, I am using windows 8 and my USB is connected to COM2

Does your NANO show up in device manager ?
If so as what ?

Dont use USB 3.0 ports either unless you have a powered USB 2.0 hub between the computer and the Arduino.

Thanks for using code tags and including the sketch always good info to have.

Yes it comes up as an unknown USB Device and I have tried using a USB 2.0 as well.

Ok if its unknown device then the IDE will not see it.
Stick with USB 2.0

Can you post a decent pic of the front and back of the board itself.

Maybe you need the CH340/341 drivers to be installed if its a clone.

Available HERE

These are never included with the IDE as clones changed the chip used for the USB port a while ago.

Here is the photos of front and back

Damn sorry photo was too big

When you press the reset button, does the LED blink? What pattern?

When you try to upload, do you see the same sort of LED blink pattern as above?

Try telling the IDE that it's an Uno. If that doesn't work, try calling it a pro mini. Those three boards all use the same chip, and it's not unheard of to run into clones that come with a bootloader that doesn't match the board.

There are, as you've probably noticed searching, dozens of things that will lead to errors of this form - it is not particularly helpful error message in terms of guiding you to a solution.

apexpredator_13:
Damn sorry photo was too big

Yes there is a size limit in here so you may have to crop and reduce.

DrAzzy,
You saved the day. I was having the same problem, and had tried many variants on multiple suggestions. My Nanos think they are pro-minis. Thank you.

I'm here to bust your bubble. You can ask him to do give you all the info you want, but the problems is there was a recent update that I even did tonight that screwed the ide up for the nano. I am able to upload code to the Uno fine was also to upload to the nano yesterday fine.

@KevinRoach

Do tell and what was that update ?
You say you can still upload to a UNO but not a NANO ?

That would point more to a possible board issue than an update.

It was an update to the board package. Apparently "new" Nanos come with Optiboot, and to load old Nanos, you have to select "old bootloader" from the tools menu.

Much discussed here: Old Nanos stopped responding to boot loader - Avrdude, stk500, Bootloader issues - Arduino Forum

Since the vast majority of "Nanos" in the world are NOT from official suppliers, and even the existing official nanos have the old bootloader, it's an ... annoying ... change.
(time to break out Optibloader, which was written about the time the Uno came out, explicitly with the idea of being able to do "bulk updates" of the bootloader on older boards.)

Thanks West...
Thats better than some confusing update that could have been windows.

even i have the same problem with uno and my arduino board doesn't appear in device manager. is there any kind of solution for this??

In my case, I'm using a cheap Nano ATMega 328p clone, but if I select that in the IDE, I get the stk500 error. When I select:

Tools > Board > Arduino Pro or Pro Mini
Tools > Processor > ATmega328p (5v, 16MHz)

it works! Hope that helps someone.

I keep getting that same error code on 2 different boards! I've tried everything in the forum and NOTHING has helped!!!! I'm new to arduino but since I did the blink test I've had this error!!! I've got another board that is a clone and the drivers can't be found! I had heard so much good about arduino but now I have my doubts!!! I personally am starting to think that its over rated and a pile of crap! Are there any solutions other than resale selling it and if anyone ask me about it saying its not worth the time money or effort?

After working on our board for 5-ever, your comment on making sure that the correct board was selected solved our problem! For some reason when we went from one lesson to another the Board type changed and when we reloaded the Code that worked previously the Board type stayed the same. Thank you, it helped.

SG136