Go Down

Topic: Neopixels - program good for 128 chips crashes on 300  (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

b-james

I am trying to get this system going but I have purchased a 5 meter roll with 300 on it instead of 128 .

The system I am copying is here http://www.instructables.com/id/Party-Lights-1/

The arduino code is there too and I am not getting any lightup at all .

I have separately confirmed the bluetooth connection is working and I have tested the neopixels with Lady Adas neopigle striptest.

Can anyone suggest a fix ? I think the arduino 328P mini pro is crashing on startup . Anyway to limit the LED's to 128 with out cutting the strip?

ballscrewbob

Feb 12, 2017, 04:23 am Last Edit: Feb 12, 2017, 04:32 am by Ballscrewbob
LOL the subject states 128 or and I quote "A little higher".

First off what power supply are you using as the required SEPARATE supply for the LED's as they do draw a good amount of current and its probably too much for an Arduino on its own.

The better strips from EBAY etc have a pair of seperate take off leads as well as the connector.
If yours has those USE THEM.

There are a multitude of sketches and libs for the "neopixel" type LED's But as the instructable states memory might be an issue. Might be worth playing with some of the other examples that are out there too as you might get better results.

There are a few ways to overcome that. Better Arduino, Store arrays on SD card readers, Read datas from a PC. Choice is yours depending on the path you want to take.

Also suggest you read the COMMENTS in that IS tutorial too as there are some good clues in there as to why you may not be getting the result you want....EG SHARED GROUND.

Seems the limit is already set anyway here

Code: [Select]

WS2812B LEDS;

uint32_t last_update = 0;
uint8_t NUM_RGB = 128;

A better method to do what you need is here..
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

April270

LOL the subject states 128 or and I quote "A little higher".( I have set the LEDS to 150 via phone app and it handles them fine)

First off what power supply are you using as the required SEPARATE supply for the LED's as they do draw a good amount of current and its probably too much for an Arduino on its own.( at 150 setting the minipro on its own lights up what seems to be roughly 150 but no more LEDS)

The better strips from EBAY etc have a pair of seperate take off leads as well as the connector.
If yours has those USE THEM.( Hmm)

There are a multitude of sketches and libs for the "neopixel" type LED's But as the instructable states memory might be an issue. Might be worth playing with some of the other examples that are out there too as you might get better results.( Hmm)

There are a few ways to overcome that. Better Arduino, Store arrays on SD card readers, Read datas from a PC. Choice is yours depending on the path you want to take.

Also suggest you read the COMMENTS in that IS tutorial too as there are some good clues in there as to why you may not be getting the result you want....EG SHARED GROUND.

Seems the limit is already set anyway here

Code: [Select]

WS2812B LEDS;

uint32_t last_update = 0;
uint8_t NUM_RGB = 128;

(No that is the starting point for the app . It is set to what you want by the app or you can change the code)

A better method to do what you need is here.. (Not helpful for this poster I think)

ballscrewbob

@ April270

You went  " a little higher" which the destructible said was possible the OP went to "300" !!!

Not sure what you mean with "Hmmm"

However to please you I am adding THIS LINK

All my recent purchases have some with the power take offs too.

As far as the link not being useful that's up for a lot of debate.
But seeing as the OP hasn't come back yet we will have to wait and see.
Point of the link was showing more than 128 LED's with improved code in a better than a destructible proven way with additional information not covered in the destructible. (I use that term as A. a friendly alt and B. as some of them are and have been shown to be just that if you care to go through all the messages in these forums)

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Go Up