Arduino and Money

Hi,
Is there any way to earn money via Arduino?

Step 1. Collect underpants
Step 2. ? ? ?
Step 3. Profit

Buy a bunch of Arduinos at a low price and sell them at a higher price.

jremington:

Aren't the Arduino folks already doing that ?

...R

jremington:

Robin2:
Aren't the Arduino folks already doing that ?

...R

OK, Buy a bunch of Arduinos at a low low price and sell them at a much higher price that is slightly lower than the price that others are selling them at.

Find a niche Arduino application such as the infamous Arduino Weather Maker.

Epoxy it into a box and sell it to the highest bidding evil genius / government / deity.

I don't think the arduino has enough processing power to control a printer, so i'm not sure it could make bills. However, i'm sure you could use it to drive a motor that could be used to press coins. Be careful though, making money with an arduino might be illegal.

Delta G:
OK, Buy steal a bunch of Arduinos at a low low pricefor free and sell them at a much higher price that is slightly lower than the price that others are selling them at.

Qdeathstar:

OK, Buy steal a bunch of Arduinos at a low low pricefor free and sell them at a much higher price that is slightly lower than the price that others are selling them at.

That sounds very like an incitement to commit a crime.

I would like to formally dissociate myself very clearly from this.

And stealing is completely contrary to the generosity of spirit that is the hallmark of Open Source software and hardware.

...R

I guess you could use an Arduino to mine for bitcoin.......very slllooooowwwwwllllllly

@Robin2

Here are the 12 flights of stairs, pushed into position, so you may embark from your horse.

I thought the whole point of arduino was to waste/spend lots of money.

EDIT

And time.

Qdeathstar:
Here are the 12 flights of stairs, pushed into position, so you may embark from your horse.

The usual mounting block with 2 steps will be sufficient :slight_smile:

...R

I'd look at what the people who are consistently making money off "makers" are doing right. SparkFun and Adafruit for example. Unless you live in China you're probably not going to be able to win on price alone but there are a lot of customers who are willing to pay extra for a more gentle learning curve. The extra effort of providing proper documentation, example code, libraries, schematics, etc. can pay back many times over in increased sales and reduced number of support requests and returns. There are companies trying to cash in on the Arduino market who clearly have almost no experience with Arduino and it really makes me mad when I see people getting ripped off buying their products and going through a lot of frustration. It makes sense if you buy a board on eBay for $2 w/ free shipping that you're on your own but when you pay $45 for some pretty minimal hardware that should include proper support.

There seem to be lots of people taking classes that will pay you to do their homework for them...

You could offer classes. You could consult. You could build a bigger better gadget that happens to include an Arduino. these are fancy ways of "buy low, sell high" - "nominal fee for the class, plus you'll need your own Arduino, and I can sell you one of these $5 Nano clones PLUS a USB cable for $15; much cheaper than "

You could dress in a bikini and do video tutorials about Arduino, and collect advertising dollars from Youtube.

You'll note that some of these require a good deal of expertise, and/or ... other attributes.

pedram:
Hi,
Is there any way to earn money via Arduino?

Use Arduino to automate or assist some job.
Package that with a very small board or stand-alone chip for the controller, you program it with your Arduino.

If you use some public domain libraries like SD, you are required to keep your software open. But write your own and you can keep your secrets, AVR chips can be locked from practical means of reading the code.

But first, try making things not to be sales products just to learn do and don't of making. Find out what you can do before wasting time dreaming too much. Get up with your code, poor coding limits what can be done more than 99%.

What you can do when adding parts to the controller is enormous. Dozens of sensors and motors are not too much, IR remote is not too much, SD cards are not too much, switching house mains is not too much, even having it call your phone or send web data to a site is not too much... but it all comes at some cost and ability to wire up and code and invent which is up to you. Don't spend big until you can do more than small.

Start a lucrative Ardruino Watercooling and Overclocking(if overclocking is possible on it) niche market. You could probably just grind pennies down smooth for heatsinks.

GoForSmoke:
Use Arduino to automate or assist some job.

The Atmega 328 at the core of the Arduino has been used in automation etc by professional engineers for this.

Arduino is basically a cheap educational platform that allows you to learn how to use it.

Many years ago embedded systems were developed using boards costing several hundreds.
We had to programme them using hex or octal as well.

Boardburner2:
The Atmega 328 at the core of the Arduino has been used in automation etc by professional engineers for this.

Arduino is basically a cheap educational platform that allows you to learn how to use it.

Many years ago embedded systems were developed using boards costing several hundreds.
We had to programme them using hex or octal as well.

What you program the chip in doesn't make it special. What the chip does makes it special.

Arduino Uno is a development board that can be used to make end product controllers with.
Arduino IDE is the free development software for Arduino boards.

If you already know how to use Arduino there are many things you can produce with it so how you get "basically a cheap educational platform that allows you to learn how to use it." eludes me since learning how to use it is just the start as stated by docs on this site.

Parts are cheaper now and integration more complete than before, it doesn't make these toys much as that's what I call them. They cease to be toys when they're put to work.

GoForSmoke:
." eludes me since learning how to use it is just the start as stated by docs on this site.

Parts are cheaper now and integration more complete than before, it doesn't make these toys much as that's what I call them. They cease to be toys when they're put to work.

It was an attempt to explain to the OP how these devices get used for commercial applications.