Go Down

Topic: Is Arduino suitable for creating something like Mackie Control Pro? (Read 4844 times) previous topic - next topic

Grumpy_Mike

A Raspberry Pi can not produce the baud rate required by the MIDI standard without a great deal of bother so I would forget that.

Yes you need a proper driver for the motorised faders, no processor pin is going to be able to power that sort of motor directly. You need a H-bridge driver to move the fader in both directions and requires two output pins. Also you need another two for monitoring the end stop switches and finally an analogue input for reading the value. So that is six pins per fader. Look into port expanders, you will need them on this project.

rinaldojonathan

A Raspberry Pi can not produce the baud rate required by the MIDI standard without a great deal of bother so I would forget that.
I'll let my lecturer know that. Thanks!

Yes you need a proper driver for the motorised faders, no processor pin is going to be able to power that sort of motor directly. You need a H-bridge driver to move the fader in both directions and requires two output pins. Also you need another two for monitoring the end stop switches and finally an analogue input for reading the value. So that is six pins per fader. Look into port expanders, you will need them on this project.
Again, once again, thank you. I learned many things from you.

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.
Now I had to look for arduino simulator before doing this in real life ... :s

Grumpy_Mike

Now I had to look for arduino simulator before doing this in real life ...
The problem with an Arduino simulator is that it is not very good at simulating outside components. My advice would be do it for real.

Just in case your lecturer thinks I don't know what I am talking about you can tell him I also wrote / co-wrote these books:-

Raspberry-Pi-For-Dummies

Raspberry Pi Projectsl

Raspberry Pi Projects for Dummies

rinaldojonathan

The problem with an Arduino simulator is that it is not very good at simulating outside components. My advice would be do it for real.
Yes, I know simulation sucks. But I had to do it.
Also, we have no mega around, I still have to buy the motorized fader (I'm at Indonesia and should import them from somewhere?), these things are expensive and I'm not even sure if these things works ._.

So yeah ... I have no choice for now.
You know any good simulator that can talk to my DAW somehow?
(I heard Proteus 7 can do that, but I'm not feeling good when pirating software, since my Ableton Live is genuine lel)

Grumpy_Mike

As I never use simulators I know nothing about them, sorry.

rinaldojonathan

I had to make a decision.

This is too hard I guess. And all I need is networking support.
So, I decided to make something like KissBox (the hardware for rtpMIDI) with arduino. That sounds easy.

Everyone, thanks for the response!
I will notify about my project in other thread. This thread could be closed.

Go Up