Go Down

Topic: Serial Port Not Working (Read 120510 times) previous topic - next topic

sterretje

Nov 23, 2018, 05:47 pm Last Edit: Nov 23, 2018, 05:50 pm by ballscrewbob
I do realise you solved it.

To make the Sketch work and upload it it took a lot of "USB plugged out USB plugged in" and reset.
But since added the Bihor no serial seen anymore.
The first test to do is disconnect everything and try again.

I read that it is possible that COM will not work anymore if the loop do not have delays?
There is one in the sketch (delay(100)).
Don't believe everything that you read on the web; there is too much rubbish. Find at least a second opinion that confirms that B.S..

How to really reset the UNO? Not restart with custom sketch to get the UNO back I removed yesterday from the package?

A RESET button should RESET the WHOLE system and make everything work the way it came from factory and not restart system with custom software. In my case, I guess, this would avoid a lot of trouble.
Hmm, a reset button on your PC also does not do that ;)

The UNO OS should also have enough CPU time to serve the native UNO functions like COM handling. I guess that this is an issue but I will try in the next step to remove all of my work from GND.
There is no OS. When you press the reset button, the boot loader runs first; your code does not run. The boot loader looks for a little while 'at the com port' if you want to do an upload and after that it hands control over to your code.

Nice device but for kids too much trouble. Plug and Play would be nice. However when it works it's really great.
It is plug-and -play as you have found out 8)
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

diananolton

So I've been having a problem with get the port COM3 or over. I did everything in installing stuff. So I'm on the device manager. No ports listed. So I went to Action and clicked Add legacy hardware. So I click add hardware and click the ports section. There's a list of Manufacturers. I've click on all of them. But for this example I clicked Arduino LLC (www.Arduino.cc) and there's a list of Models so I clicked Arduino Uno. And I've try every different model for every manufacturer. So after I added hardware it says Arduino Uno was installed. The software for this device is now installed, but may not work correctly. The device cannot start. (Code 10). So now on the device manager I have to port that says Arduino Uno (COM3) but there's a yellow triangle with an explanation point. I just need help trying to fix this thing.

ballscrewbob

Code 10 is almost always a driver issue.
Is your board a REAL arduino or a cheap clone ?
If it is a clone you probably require drivers that are not part of the Arduino package.
CH340/341 or CP2102.
Usually best to install those as Administrator but not always necessary.

COM 3 would be the first port over the usually reserved COM 1 & 2 that windows hold back.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Go Up