Help with identifying the pieces for project #4 color changing lamp

Hi there,

Thanks if anyone can take a look.

I'm going through youtube videos trying to figure out if I have the correct phototransistors. I don't know if sometimes the pieces can look different depending on when these Arduino kits are purchased.

The ones I'm seeing on youtube (tutorials) have a flat top and the wooden piece on each of the phototransistors has a circle cutout.

In my kit, I only see these 6 clear top pieces (says the kit should have 6 phototransistors) that I believe are phototransistors and I have the 3 wooden pieces but with no holes. Hence the difference and the confusion from not being able to match up with the video.

3 wooden pieces with holes, and 3 flat top phototransistors

I have attached my pieces laid out. How am I suppose to add the wooden blocks to the phototransistors when it's only a slit? Unless I don't have the right pieces to begin with.

Those in your picture look more like LED's than LDR's

This is the three devices he had at the bottom of the breadboard.

The LED he was using was an RGB led similar to this.

I actually dug out my book and wiped off the dust and yours do not match.
Maybe a better question is where exactly did you get your kit as some chinese vendors throw things in that don't relate to the actual Arduino book and relate to thier own versions of projects that may be miles away from the arduino ones.

prismcolour:
I have attached my pieces laid out. How am I suppose to add the wooden blocks to the phototransistors when it's only a slit? Unless I don't have the right pieces to begin with.

I have the same style of pieces as you. I guess they changed the parts used in the kit but never changed the book.

I bought mine on the Arduino store https://store-usa.arduino.cc/products/arduino-starter-kit

The parts image there even shows the ones prismcolour and I have.