Go Down

Topic: Errors while trying to ping HC-SR04 sensor and sound a tone at once (Read 762 times) previous topic - next topic

atikonium

Hello guys I got my Arduino 2 days ago and I'm fairly new to programming as well (I just know very basic stuff). I'm yet trying to get distance from my HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Distance Sensor and play a C4 (Do) note from a piezo at the same time. I tried to combine from 2 working codes, which then I want to turn into a musical instrument kinda thing, but I haven't been able to compile it successfully.

Source code:
Code: [Select]

#include <NewPing.h>
#include "pitches.h"

int ses = 8;
int sensorValue = 0;

#define TRIGGER_PIN  12
#define ECHO_PIN     11
#define MAX_DISTANCE 400

NewPing sonar(TRIGGER_PIN, ECHO_PIN, MAX_DISTANCE);

void setup() {
  pinMode(ses, OUTPUT);
  Serial.begin(115200);
}

void loop() {
  tone(ses, NOTE_C4, 20);
  delay(50);
  Serial.print(sonar.ping_cm());
}

I have both included .h files in my library and they work fine with other codes.

This is the error:
Code: [Select]

Arduino: 1.8.2 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Tone.cpp.o (symbol from plugin): In function `timer0_pin_port':

(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `__vector_7'

libraries\NewPing\NewPing.cpp.o (symbol from plugin):(.text+0x0): first defined here

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

PaulS

Both NewPing and tone() use the same timer. You can't use them in the same sketch.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

atikonium

Any way to fix it then? Can't I change the timer or something?

PaulS

Can't I change the timer or something?
Feel free to look at both libraries, and try to change the timer that one of them uses.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

atikonium

I looked inside the libraries and I have no idea how to change or even find a timer

atikonium

Both NewPing and tone() use the same timer. You can't use them in the same sketch.
By the way sorry if I sounded rude. Thank you. I appreciate your clarification. Now I can try to find a workaround

DrAzzy

I would try to find another library to use instead of NewPing - timer conflicts are common enough that you can usually find versions of the library with different timers. Sometimes the library itself has #defines in it that you can change to make it use different timers.
ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

atikonium

I would try to find another library to use instead of NewPing - timer conflicts are common enough that you can usually find versions of the library with different timers. Sometimes the library itself has #defines in it that you can change to make it use different timers.
Thank you so much. I used NewTone instead of tone and it works fine now. +1

Go Up