Go Down

Topic: High performance device driver library Arduino Mega 2560 - Beta release (Read 2936 times) previous topic - next topic

lonfield

Dear All,

I've just released Beta ver. 1.00 of Ddr-ArdMeg, a high performance, device driver library for Arduino Mega 2560 (ATMega 2560) and Moteino Mega (ATMega 1284p).

The library is tight, type safe, has high performance and is written entirely in C++11 (C-style). Most device setup functions compiles to a single, or a few assembler instructions. The library currently supports:

- DIO per port
- DIO per pin
- External interrupts
- Reading / writing internal EEPROM
- A/D conversion (asynchron but not interrupt driven)
- Buffered (asynchron) and non-buffered (synchron) serial communication
- Buffered (asynchron) and non-buffered (synchron) SPI communication
- Binary number notation (e.g. b0101)
- Configurable resource utilization (mainly useful for Arduino Mega 2560)
- Configurable pin name mappings (currently supports both boards)

The library is distributed as source code only (GPL v3) and only depends on GCC (tested with 4.9.2) and AvrLibc (1.8.1). No other dependencies. I've used Eclipse CDT during development and the library SHOULD be able to be used within Arduino IDE straight forward. However, the last time I tested the sketch compiler refused to compile. If anyone has any success, please let me now so that I can add some explanatory text to the documentation.

Currently, the documentation is NOT TO BE TRUSTED owing to major revisions of the code. However, I've added a few examples (separate download file) that I hope are useful. There are also a bunch of test cases in the SVN trunk that may be of help.

More info is available at the project web site (link above).

Feedback, comments, bug reports, ... is all welcome (there's a discussion forum at Sourceforge)

Cheers
Nils

Robin2

I've just released Beta ver. 1.00 of Ddr-ArdMeg, a high performance, device driver library for Arduino Mega 2560 (ATMega 2560) and Moteino Mega (ATMega 1284p).
Maybe my brain has taken the evening off, but what is the purpose of this? Who would use it? When? Why?

...R
PS I am not criticizing, just questioning.
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

lonfield

Hi there,

Well, besides the obvious purpose of performance and compact code, it's up to anyone to make up their own mind if to use the library for something or not. For my personal project it will end up being the foundation for an airborne telemetry system consisting of about 15 sensors, GPS, flash memory, display and a radio link. That's also the reason I've included support for the Moteino Mega (small, light & integrated radio).

/Nils

-dev

Have you seen Cosa?  Beautiful design, and very efficient.

I'll take a look at your library sometime... my NeoGPS might be easy to port.  It doesn't really have any Arduino core references, except in the examples.

Cheers,
/dev
Really, I used to be /dev.  :(

pert

Just curious, why Sourceforge? I didn't think anyone would use that site for new projects

the library SHOULD be able to be used within Arduino IDE straight forward.
Very unlikely with that folder structure. I'll have a try later to see if I can get it working.

Robin2

Well, besides the obvious purpose of performance and compact code, it's up to anyone to make up their own mind if to use the library for something or not.
I guess we are misunderstanding each other.

I still can't figure what sort of projects this would be useful in, or how it relates to other (perhaps more familiar) Arduino libraries.

For example, I know the Servo library is for servos and the RF24 library is for an nRF24 wireless transceiver. But my notion of "device driver" is something you have on a PC.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

pert

I got HelloWorld to work using the Arduino IDE 1.8.2 after a couple small changes:

Code: [Select]
#include "Configure.h"

After doing the above I changed line 42 of main.cpp from:
init(SerialPort::SER_2);
to:
init(SerialPort::SER_0);
and line 45 from:
writeStr(SerialPort::SER_2,"Hello World!");
to
writeStr(SerialPort::SER_0,"Hello World!");
so I could get the output on Serial0 instead of Serial2. Of course that's not necessary, it was just more convenient for me that way.

Robin2

I got HelloWorld to work using the Arduino IDE 1.8.2 after a couple small changes:
And all that is an improvement on
void setup() {
   Serial.begin(9600);
   Serial.println("Hello World");
}

void loop() {
}

??

...R

lonfield

/dev,

I saw Cosa a few months ago and I think it should be a minor effort to port NeoGPS. After a quick look, I take it that NeoGPS is stream oriented and that would fit the buffered serial driver in Ddr-ArdMeg straight away with a minor addition of some glue code. I'll take a look at it when I start working on the telemetry application.

Cheers
/Nils

lonfield

pert,

Thanks a lot for the help with the Arduino sketch! Really appreciated. I'll add another FAQ-item on the web site describing the procedure. Regarding the Sourceforge hosting it just happens to be that I already had another project there so the threshold for adding a new project was low.

Again, thanks for the input.

/Nils

lonfield

Robin2,

Regarding what a device drive is, I quote Wikipedia:

"In computing, a device driver (commonly referred to simply as a driver) is a computer program that operates or controls a particular type of device that is attached to a computer. A driver provides a software interface to hardware devices, enabling operating systems and other computer programs to access hardware functions without needing to know precise details of the hardware being used."

In other words, a device driver is a software layer that provides a level of abstraction that is higher than the one provided by the raw hardware. A device in the context of Ddr-ArdMeg is any of the built-in peripheral devices provided by the specific MCU (UART, SPI, I2C, ports, ...). Device drivers are used by most OS:es but an OS is not a prerequisite.

The similarity between the Arduino sketch and the Ddr-ArdMeg version of "Hello World" is a feature, believe it or not. It shows that the Arduino IDE and Ddr-ArdMeg operates at basically the same level of abstraction. Now, the interesting part happens behind the scene. Unless my memory fails me, the Arduino sketch compiles to about 1.7 KB for a Moteino Mega. The Ddr-ArdMeg version compiles to 342 bytes. Of these 342 bytes, ~200 bytes are boot code, interrupt vector tables, etc. inserted by AVR-Libc. In other words, the "Hello world" program is ~150 bytes. Assuming a similar overhead for the Arduino sketch, we are talking about a factor of 10 in code size reduction. Execution speed will, for this example, be almost the same since the rate limiting step is the 9600 baud serial communication.

Obviously, this is a specific case and you can't expect 10 times less code for every program since the device centric parts are usually a fraction of the entire program. In any way, less memory will be used and execution speed will for certain be competitive. Who will need that? Well, I'm one for sure  :) .

/Nils

Robin2

Unless my memory fails me, the Arduino sketch compiles to about 1.7 KB for a Moteino Mega. The Ddr-ArdMeg version compiles to 342 bytes. Of these 342 bytes, ~200 bytes are boot code, interrupt vector tables, etc. inserted by AVR-Libc. In other words, the "Hello world" program is ~150 bytes. Assuming a similar overhead for the Arduino sketch, we are talking about a factor of 10 in code size reduction.
Am I correct, then, to think that your code is an alternative to the Arduino IDE that compiles the same activities to a smaller code size?

I can see how that could be an advantage but I did not get any sense from your Original Post that that was the purpose of your program.

...R

CrossRoads

Does the code keep all the millis() and micros() support that Arduino sets up in the background?
I'm thinking perhaps not.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

lonfield

Yes Robin2, thats basically it and in this specific case small size also translates to execution speed. I suppose I could have been clearer about that.

Cheers
/Nils

lonfield

Hi CrossRoads,

Your correct it doesn't, at least not for now. I haven't written the driver for the timers yet for the simple reason that I wanted to get the code out in the open before adding support for yet another periferal. Putting together a release force oneself to finish all those clean-up tasks that otherwise would just be ignored/forgotten...

After I've finished the documentation (next task in line) it's either the timers or the i2c-bus. I probably need both in my own project but currently I feel that the i2c-bus adds less usability than the timers. I2c is just another bus and the library already supports SPI and serial. Hence, timers are the stronger candidate.

/Nils

Go Up