How to securely attach cuircuit boards to Perma-Proto shields

This might seem like a dumb question but I really have no clue about how to cope with this.
I basically do not know how to attach a smaller board (like this one for example: Adafruit 10-DOF IMU Breakout - L3GD20H + LSM303 + BMP180 : ID 1604 : $29.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits) to a perma proto-shield like this
Adafruit Perma-Proto HAT for Pi Mini Kit - No EEPROM : ID 2310 : $4.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits, or any proto-like board.
This all applies especially to my provided items, but also to any other breakout-board and perma-proto board.

My problem splits into two questions:
Firstly, is there any way to secure named IMU breakout(or any other 'board') better than just plain soldering the sides of the pin headers to the perma-proto and the breakout? Like standoffs or something?
I'd think if the breakout had pins on both sides it would be ok, but with just one side, it'd be fairly loose, or am I wrong?

Secondly, are there header-pins (i dont know the proper term for these, you know the ones you get everywhere to solder on, just plain male header pins) where both sides are very short so there is no major stick-out on one side?
If you solder the provided headers from the 10DOF breakout(or any other) on, and then solder these on the proto-board, arent the pins sticking out quite a lot?

I am sorry for my complex and poor explanation and thank you in advance

Yes, the male pins are too long but that's why you need these: Flush diagonal cutters [CHP170] : ID 152 : $7.25 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits The Hakko cutters mentioned do hold up very well when cutting the heavy square pins. I've found these to be the best inexpensive cutters out there.

I agree that boards with a single row of pins are best soldered since they will be loose in single row socket. Perhaps others have found a good solution that allows for easy removal that provides a firm mount. I'd like to know myself!

Thank you for your reply, and I will use your suggested cutters.
But do you think the soldered single row of pins are sturdy enough and vibration-dampening or at least
not vibration-enhancing? I'm asking because i will be using the 10DOF IMU on a multicopter and this is the part that has to be in place and not vibrating.