Go Down

Topic: Slow compilation on a brand new laptop (Read 4648 times) previous topic - next topic

pert

That's why I told you to run it from the command line.

jasperizak

Well when I run it from the command line "Arduino IDE has stopped working" shows up.

pert

westfw

Is there any way to get logging out of anti-virus programs?
I'm wondering if it's possible that they do some sort of net-based lookup for certain types of files/accesses, and the people who are having particularly slow compiles are "somewhere" where those connections time out or something.
(Or perhaps searching the disk for info that's supposed to become permanent, but doesn't?)

ballscrewbob

There are lots of "traffic" monitoring tools

Microsoft's own offering HERE is a safe bet.

Most AV is able to run in offline mode (even safe mode) and should only want online for update checks and submissions.
Anything outside them realms smacks of bloatware.

There is almost always a method to whitelist items even if it is not always obvious.

Live file tracing can be a little harder to do and is not for the beginner.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

jasperizak

I'm really sorry for the slow replies I have been really busy.
That's all?
Yes that's all, sadly.
Is there any way to get logging out of anti-virus programs?
I'm wondering if it's possible that they do some sort of net-based lookup for certain types of files/accesses, and the people who are having particularly slow compiles are "somewhere" where those connections time out or something.
(Or perhaps searching the disk for info that's supposed to become permanent, but doesn't?)

There is a way of logging out of the AV but the IDE is still slow even when not connected to the internet.
Most AV is able to run in offline mode (even safe mode) and should only want online for update checks and submissions.
Task Manager does not show any process related to McAfee.

ballscrewbob

Task manager will not show a lot of processes.
For getting to the root of whats running you would need "process explorer" which is part of the toolkit Microsoft should have included but never does.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

jasperizak

Thanks for all your suggestions! But I guess I'll just wait until the subscription ends :D (or until I get to a local makerspace and maybe they can also help troubleshoot the problem as my knowledge is only basic)

westfw

So I experimented with my slowest W10 "burner" laptop, putting McAfee's free trial on it.
Sure enough, Arduino started to get really slow compiles.
But some poking around with task manager showed that it was Microsoft crap that was using ~99% if the CPU and making things slow.   There were several actual culprits: the big one was Windows Update (which appears in the task manager under a couple of different names.)   Apparently it can take 99% of the cpu to 'check for updates', and under some circumstances it can take hours before this succeeds or fails (and if it fails, it tries again...)   The download and install parts of Update also seem to be pretty cpu-intensive.  (And note that McAfee will trigger windows updates under the umbrella of "keep computer safe."
I've also seen windows update get "stuck", where it continuously fails to check and/or download updates.   There's a "windows update diagnostic" that you can download from microsoft that may help, eventually, after you run it a few times.  :-(

The other "suspicious" microsoft process was one of the W10 "telemetry" things; there are assorted complaints on the web of this causing high CPU and/or disk activity.  This is also a "once in a while" thing, supposedly.

When these were finished running, Arduino performance became more reasonable.

So...  Make sure your windows system is done with all the "background tasks" it thinks it needs to do, and try again.
Use the task manager to make sure that your "idle" CPU usage is low.

Go Up