Go Down

Topic: Homemade pcb with Photoresist method (Read 3940 times) previous topic - next topic

ElCaron

yep plus the 13€ for shipping, maybe in your country it is cheaper
At seeed, I just paid 11US$ and 13US$ for shipping to Germany, for 20 boards each. So one board for 10US$=9€, if you throw away 9 from each design. Still worth it for me.

tinman13kup

I actually found the solution for plated through holes at a house remodel I did. The previous owners left behind some old electronics parts, I'm guessing from the 60's/70's. In there I found a vial of what looked like rivets. On closer inspection, there were 2 sizes, in which one fit perfectly into the other.. The hole through the center just happens to be the right size for through hole parts.  I would really like to locate more of these, as I only have about 30 left.

As for the boards, I just use the pre-sensitized boards, standard transparency sheets, and an Ott-light to expose them. 8 minutes does the trick, and I'm using downwards of .012 traces. I find temperature is key for the whole thing.
Tom
It's not a hobby if you're not having fun doing it. Step back and breathe

Wawa

Well, it's ok for some, but I bet you can' t do 4 thou track and spacing and 10 thou vias....
And how do you register top and bottom layers?
And as for mutilayers - that's tricky.
The CNC is only used for crude single layer things. The power stuff you do on strip board.

I started with rolls of 0.5-1mm wide etch resistant tape and an etch resistant drawing pen.
Then etch resistant rub-on transfers (pads and tracks).
Then moved to spray-on photoresist. Messy, smelly (has to be baked on), oneven, dust in it, etc.
Then the pre-fab photo sensitive boards. Then the iron-on transfer sheets (bad).

I think I produced the best boards with etch resistant transfers. I think it was "Letraset".
Not sure if you still can get that (I'm talking 30+ years ago).
...professionally made boards are so good and cheap I woudn't bother these days.
And maybe the slow boat is partially a good thing - it makes you check thoroughly before ordering..
When your design skill improve, it's indeed the only way.
Leo..

allanhurst

In mobile phone design , using 6 or 8 layer boards 1.2mm thick, full of layout critical RF stuff and BGAs  with microvias etc, where every 'spin' costs an awful lot, I always insisted ( however loudly the management yelled about delays ) on a full day of team review before finally releasing the design.

Found a lot of silly errors.

Allan.

Boardburner2

May 17, 2017, 03:16 am Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 03:19 am by Boardburner2
. In there I found a vial of what looked like rivets. On closer inspection, there were 2 sizes, in which one fit perfectly into the other.. The hole through the center just happens to thing.
Sounds like through hole rivets , Farnell used to do them.

Csn be found on ebay.

tinman13kup

Sounds like through hole rivets , Farnell used to do them.

Csn be found on ebay.
Hot diggity, Farnell has them....but what's a pound???

As for Ebay..... I've not bought anything from there for a long long time. Too much junk being peddled there
Tom
It's not a hobby if you're not having fun doing it. Step back and breathe

larryd

May 17, 2017, 03:39 am Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 03:52 am by larryd
I have a million of these.
When it comes to a home made PCBs, I would walk over a bed of hot coals to avoid it.

Good old dayshttps://www.google.ca/search?q=pcb+rivets&espv=2&biw=1360&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCcQsARqFQoTCOLsx7O06MgCFZGliAodvyQGkg

Edit:

FYI
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/pcbs.html

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

Wawa

Good for giving a heavy item like a small transformer/inductor some extra support on a single side board.
I also still have bags of them in the bottom of the drawer.
leo..

larryd

No technical PMs.

Wawa

I just put a phillips head screwdriver on the thin end of the rivet, and hit it with a hammer.
Leo..

aster94

I will try a cheap transparent/tracing paper and see if it works with my laser printer

About the spray i will use the positiv 20, everyone suggest it and looks like no one had tried any alternatives

When i would need more than 2 boards i will go for sure for seed, pcbway or similar but for now i d rather to waste some time and as someone have smartly said i will double check my design doing manually the boards

larryd

I use the negative pre sensitized board, less ink from the ink jet printer.

No technical PMs.

MarkDerbyshire

I use the negative pre sensitized board, less ink from the ink jet printer.

Depends on your circuit design on the amount of ink that is used

larryd

May 17, 2017, 07:49 pm Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:50 pm by larryd
With a ground plain.

No technical PMs.

Boardburner2

Using the negative method i find that most printers cannot do large areas of dense black weather they are inkjet or laser.

Go Up