DRV8834 not pulling current, motor not turning

I am using an Arduino Uno with a Pololu DRV8834 Low Voltage Driver along with an ELENCO Quad Power XP-581A for power in an attempt to power a Pololu SY57STH56-2006A High Torque Stepper. I used a high voltage driver and have been being slightly careless with putting too much power into the driver, and I think I have been putting the multimeter probes on the wrong spot. I could get the motor to move, but it was sporadic and got very hot. I am now using the correct driver, and have not been able to modify the current limit as I have not been getting any numbers on the multimeter and have been moving the probes to different points wondering if it will show a number. I tested to motor coils to make sure it was working (simply put an LED on the ends of each coil and turned the shaft), and it worked fine. However, I'm wondering if there is a way to test if the DRV8834 driver is functional, or if anybody already sees a problem that I might be overlooking. Thank you, it's somewhat urgent.

Background Info: Arduino Pin 3 to Step on driver, Arduino Pin 4 to Dir on driver, Arduino Logic 5V to FLT on driver, Arduino Logic ground to ground on driver, power supply output to VMOT on driver, power supply ground to ground on driver.

IMHO that driver is quite unsuitable for a big motor like that. And the motor will work much better with a 12v, 24v or 36v power supply.

You need to find a stepper motor driver that can provide at least 4 amps - 5 amps would give a more comfortable margin. Such a driver will be expensive.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

I think you are mistaken. The referenced stepper motor is rated for 3.6V. That driver can't quite drive full current into the stepper, but it should be able to generate significant torque. Certainly enough to turn the shaft without anything connected to the motor.

Something getting very hot is never a good thing.

First off, double check the wiring. All the wiring.

You can measure the voltage on each phase of the stepper, then send it a single pulse and measure again. You should be able to see the phases walking through the proper steps. If one or more of the outputs doesn't turn on all the way then the driver is probably damaged.

The driver electronics are more likely to be damaged than the motor, but measure the resistance of each phase of the motor to see if it is damaged.

sdturner:
I think you are mistaken. The referenced stepper motor is rated for 3.6V.

I guess you didn't read the link I gave you.

...R

Robin2:
I guess you didn't read the link I gave you.

...R

I am familiar with steppers vs other motors.

The OP is having a problem with not being able to turn a stepper motor. The driver in question should be able to turn the motor. If the problem was insufficient torque, missed steps etc I might agree that a higher voltage and current limiting is needed, but I don't think it's necessary to go buy a new driver just to learn how to control a stepper.