cheap 433 module - antenna please? Is this a waste of time?

I probably should have been more descriptive.
This is what the modules look like

After many tries, I found this library and example to work (after I soldered a piece of wire)Manchester library and example folder

Soldering an insulated wire did not seem to work. It was only by accident I wiggled them around (and mind you - the boards were on the same solderless breadboard inches away from each other). My "antennas" had a small terminal connected to the ends of the scrap wire I was using. It's when those terminals seemed to look at each other is when it actually started working.

I removed the terminals and stripped a 1/2" piece of copper. This improved the reception. I stripped some more wire - I think it did better, but I can't tell since this isn't really a scientific experiment after I got frustrated and desperate to try anything to work. I tried coiling the bare wire around a pencil - but that seemed to do WORSE. Forming the bare ends into QUESTION-MARK shapes seemed to do the best.

I didn't know if coated copper wire was worse than bare copper, or if I should even be using any coating. I really do not want to know - I am not interested in making my own antenna's and learning about the R/F. I know it's very involved, I need special tools and test equipment, I am going through HELL trying to get my FPV camera's and receivers to work - learning more than I want to know.

Like I said. I just want reliable modules that I can send / receive a data stream from the sensors on the robot to the ground station, to process the data. My FLYSKY r/c controller seems to create a PERFECT stream of data from the controller, to the receiver - into Arduino for me to navigate the motors. I was looking for that same grade / quality to send my sensor data-stream back.

If the NRF24L01 modules do this - I will just be patient and keep waiting for them to be delivered. I ordered the ones with the SMA antenna, and the other little ones with the chip antenna. Ordered more than one module from different vendors, so hopefully - between the 6 that come to me, I can possibly get 2 of them to work.