Solder-able Breadboard options?

I have been using the Adafruit Perma-Proto boards, which are excellent. They have the same configuration as a breadboard, just that you can solder them for permanent projects. Problem is they are quite expensive. I am familiar with normal veroboard, but I don't like it. I much prefer the convenience of Adafruit perma proto boards. Does anyone know if there are any cheaper unbranded solderable boards with the same function as the Adafruit perma proto boards? I thought there must be some Chinese copies but I can't find any?

Sit down for half an hour, make one in KiCAD, send e.g. to Seeed and have 20 for 5$ + 10$ shipping. (Shipping gets only slightly more expensive when ordering more. 60 would probably be 15$+15$ shipping.

Learn KiCAD and do something useful with it in half an hour? I'm not sure that's entirely realistic.

A search on eBay for "proto board" gave me quite a few different options. eg 10 of these for less than £5 including delivery from a UK-based seller.

Get mine from Ebay or Amazon.

But prefer regular D/S proto's and am finding the Chinese quality very high (unless you get the ones marked paper)

GypsumFantastic:
A search on eBay for "proto board" gave me quite a few different options. eg 10 of these for less than £5 including delivery from a UK-based seller.

Thanks for the info, but I already saw quite a few of these. The problem is they are not like the Adafruit perma proto boards, as these have positive / ground rails at top and bottom of the board. They also have split sections in the middle for mounting an IC etc.

This is what I mean:

bb img

Those too are available in different sizes.

Thats more like a regular proto but with a set of holes missing.

These look to have a little more use to them

If it was a slightly larger project I might consider something like these

I don't think I will ever get to the stage of real PCB's and most of the things I make are suitable for point to point even if coming from bread to regular proto boards like these

These look pretty good: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-1-2-Size-Proto-Board-AST1108-E02-PCB-for-prototyping-small-foot-prints-/192081750911 (Hmm. Same seller that Bob mentioned...)

The "make your own at is getting pretty attractive. The $5 manufacturing cost is for up to 10x10cm, which is "longer than half-sized, but not full-sized" compared to the Adafruit boards. They wouldn't be a pretty as Ada's (multi-color silkscreen!!!), but OTOH you could customize them; it's cute that they make the traces "fine, so they can be easily cut", but usually I rather have "thick, so they can carry lots of power." (and maybe on both sides, for a really robust PCB.)

I have an Eagle ULP that draws proto areas; just input the number of rows, how many power rails you want, and how thick you want the traces, and woosh....
eagleproto.png

eagleproto.png

You can also use v-cuts to get two boards out of 10*10. Panelizing one design is free at some manufacturers. That is why I counted 20 for the price

westfw:
These look pretty good: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-1-2-Size-Proto-Board-AST1108-E02-PCB-for-prototyping-small-foot-prints-/192081750911 (Hmm. Same seller that Bob mentioned...)

They do look good, any idea if you can get them smaller?

The problem is I am in the UK, so would have to wait a while for them to arrive.

You could also pay the "shipping" fees to get a quicker delivery.

In my case I usually order a few more than I need and just keep an eye on what I have left then place an order well in advance.

And have noticed a few suppliers I use on a regular basis seemed to have gotten better at delivery times even from China ! And if you think UK delivery is bad try getting decent delivery times to Northern Ontario, Canada or some other countries then realise how lucky you are.

That supplier also does the 1/4 sizes too.

Just spend a little more time on GOOGLE and Ebay and even Amazon if you need them a little quicker

Such as these

These

I deliberately AVOIDED picking ADA's offerings.

And do remember there are more than Amazon and Ebay out there too !

At least you have better access to Farnel etc.
They have a veritable cornucopia of boards to choose from !

ballscrewbob:
I deliberately AVOIDED picking ADA's offerings.

Thanks for your suggestions. Out of interest why do you avoid ADA? I know they are expensive but I have found the stuff good quality.

I only avoided them above just to show you there were other options and I honestly believe there is just as good a quality items out there too.

I have some Ada gear too along with some Sparkfun.

Only reason I don't currently buy them is price point and better variety of options.
If there were something "very specific" I wanted I might splash out the extra money.

ADA and SF flood the SEM and SEO aspects so that they almost always come up first in a search.
I always look for alternatives and interesting things so often bypass those findings.
Same reason I totally block google analytics as I dont want what somebody else is telling me I should get I want to make up my own mind.

tommydog:
I have been using the Adafruit Perma-Proto boards, which are excellent. They have the same configuration as a breadboard, just that you can solder them for permanent projects. Problem is they are quite expensive. I am familiar with normal veroboard, but I don't like it. I much prefer the convenience of Adafruit perma proto boards. Does anyone know if there are any cheaper unbranded solderable boards with the same function as the Adafruit perma proto boards? I thought there must be some Chinese copies but I can't find any?

I use Perma-Proto boards and I love them. Haven't seen anything else out there made as well (or designed as well).

Other boards don't have the extra large holes or the intelligently placed mounting points and power buses.

I usually order them three 3-packs at a time. I just close my eyes when I click "submit order". Quod non videt oculus, cor non dolet.