Go Down

Topic: Overriding or swapping Microcontrollers, Siemens SAB 80535 with Ti Tiva TM4C 129 (Read 3631 times) previous topic - next topic

sterretje

No attachments? Rename your something.asm to something.asm.txt and you can probably attach it.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

David_ZI

programm is not Ready...

bobcousins

Looks like it worked,
Not really, you need a disassembler that supports 8051 code.

I would say your chances of success here are minimal. Is this a hobby thing or professional task?
Please ask questions in the forum so everyone can benefit. PM me for paid work.

David_ZI

its a professional task. It has do be done for scientific instrument, dealing with signal amplifications etc...

programm is not Ready...

bobcousins

I think even for an experienced embedded engineer, it might be simpler to write code from scratch than attempt to reverse engineer from 8051 assembler. You have not said what the control board does, the function could be quite simple or quite complex. At least there is not more than 8KBytes of code to deal.

I assume you have a spec for the system which you could work from. Have you considered hiring someone to work to a spec? Either way, it could take a significant effort.

David_ZI

the digital control circuitry board, on which the original Siemens SAB microcontroller is installed is responsible for the control of the device which does signal amplification on several channels, including channels swapping, signal input/output. So its pretty complex. It has lots of analog signal circuitry which is completely under microcontroller control.

programm is not Ready...

bobcousins

Ok, I see. I am a little confused though

At the moment i have a control circuitry board which has a Siemens SAB 80C 535 microcontroller (68 pin package). it is already programmed and plugged into the support circuitry and functions as it should.
So what is the purpose of porting code to a new CPU? Are there some additional functions required?

David_ZI

Basically, yes. The pins, of the old one are few and all connected. Also the 8051, is the problem, we want to change it to more advanced ARM cortex controller, with more functionality.  :smiley-confuse:
programm is not Ready...

bobcousins

Ok, my confusion is that you said that the current circuit "functions as it should", so I wondered what reason you need to change it.

Are you designing a new card with TM4C1294, but want to port the old code to the new CPU? That sort of thing I have worked on quite a few times in the past.

I have the TM4C1294 Launchpad btw, it's a nice board, with the onboard MAC. I was planning to build a "web radio" with it.

David_ZI

Hello Bob,

Yes, you are right. The task is to modernize the actual outdated board with its controller, due to the fact that they are nor available anymore. So manufacturer stopped the production. Now the task is to update the cpu board on (inside the device with a more modern solution, like TM4C Series). I was wondering if it might be possible to try not alter the old circuitry and patch the old code somehow on the TM4C with minor modifications. So at the moment i have such a cpu board where the old controller is removed and all the holes on circuitry board are free, my idea was to connect them to Tm4C. But came out that the hole circuitry works on 5V. That said, i am puzzled and need some advices from experienced embedded engineers...  :smiley-roll-blue:
programm is not Ready...

bobcousins

Part obsolescence is a problem particularly for industrial applications. We have products first designed 20 years ago, but they are still selling well.

We can extend the life by finding pin-compatible parts, with some minor software fixes. If the CPU becomes obsolete, we have a choice to find the nearest equivalent and port to a new CPU, keeping the same product design. This is doable because we have the original design and source code, but it still a lot of effort. This keeps customers happy because they like a drop in replacement.

Or we redesign a new product, with better performance and new features. That also is a significant effort, but it is a better investment than just stretching the life of an old product. Customers can be made happy with redesigning their systems to fit our new product if we offer a slightly cheaper product...

Which option is better is a judgment call. In general, redesigning is a better option, because extending the life becomes increasingly difficult. e.g. nearly all circuits are 3.3V nowadays. If you have good documentation and source code for the original design, and can find a very similar device, then that option is possible. We did that for one old product, it took about 2 years.

But if you have no documentation and no source, it is not really a viable option. There is too big a leap from old to new, and although it seems like there should be a stepping stone by reusing the old design, it's a bit like trying to make a 747 out of a DC3. No time is actually saved, and you also end up with a design based on an old architecture.

If you have a budget for this project, I strongly recommend spending it on creating a new design.

David_ZI

As we came this far, I'd like to take a chance and ask you couple of questions. Hopefully you dont mind ^^).
So you said you have a TM4C Launchpad, and you also asked me if I am planning to design a new card. Actually YES. Now the plan is to design a new card with a cortex core. The plan is to build a new card which will undertake the same goals/tasks as the old one. But I am quite inexperienced here, I am coming from Physics-and natural sciences background having some skills in C-programming, I can build a hardware, lets say launchpad ecosystem, embedding in simple applications like creating some hardware also writing firmware for it. But never had done something like a new control card. Where should i start?, I dont know how to start actually.
Could you please guide me in this deep dive please.

programm is not Ready...

bobcousins

It's funny that adults have trouble learning "how to learn", when kids seem to have little problem. Adults seem to  forget how to learn. Perhaps that is the result of an education system that is designed for industry, in order to produce task oriented workers, aka human robots. Once we have been "programmed" we are not required to learn new things!

Anyway, learn by playing, is the best way. Pick a simple task, try to do it. If you fail, try something simpler, or seek help. Keep repeating until you have enough knowledge to attempt bigger tasks. There is no shortcut.

I couldn't possibly teach you enough about embedded hardware and software design needed to do my job in an hour or two, any more than you could teach me what you know about physics and natural sciences in a couple of hours.

When I started, I had to recover components from broken radios, and the only sources of information were library books and magazines. The fantastic thing is that nowadays there is a huge amount of information about, and lots of cheap hardware and tools. Even online "universities".

The usual place to start is blinking an LED, you may have done that already.

AAZ

Dear All,

I woud like to ask for help. How to read data/EPROM from Siemens SAB 80515 / SAB 80C515 Family?

Thanks

bobcousins

Obviously the answer is that you use the same tools you used to program it in the first place.

Questions like "how to read the EEPROM" usually indicate someone attempting to do the impossible. It's kind of like asking "I've got some burgers, how do I turn them back into a cow?"

Normally, when developing we rarely need to dump the data from the device. It's only if you are reverse engineering old products or copying someone else's products you would need to do this. In both cases, you really need to know how to do it before even thinking of attempting it.

There are forums dedicated to 8051, those would a better place to ask anyway.

Go Up