Go Down

Topic: Where is the IDE on Windows 10 - SOLVED (Read 33350 times) previous topic - next topic

gc_malcolm

Jun 10, 2017, 07:12 am Last Edit: Jun 10, 2017, 08:41 pm by gc_malcolm
Hi,

I have Arduino 1.8.3  installed it works and I can compile and load scripts but I am trying to find where the ide.exe is

As I recall I installed it from the Windows Store

I can run it from the shortcut on the desktop OR from the application list on the launch screen

the  shortcut says there is a Target of ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_mdqgnx93n4wtt   but there is no .exe in that directory  just some directories and files that aren't exes or jar

I have searched my C drive for Arduino   and I come up with one Arduino.exe but that's a deprecated older version than the version I am running .

I looked Settings>Apps and there is Arduino IDE but windows won't tell me where. 

ieee488

gc_malcolm

thanks that was ever so helpful

ballscrewbob

Hes right you know...
Window store app not the best option.

Kill it and install the FULL application.
You will be glad you did.

Much better support around here for the "REAL THING"
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

DrAzzy

Windows hides windows store apps in c:/users/YourUserName/AppData(hidden folder)/Local/Packages

I'm not sure if there are any additional complications relevant to modifying files in windows store apps. It would be very Microsoft if there were.

As with others here, I recommend using the normal windows installer version, or the portable version, instead of the windows store version. There have been a number of issues with the windows store version, and it doesn't offer any benefits over the traditional installers
ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

gc_malcolm

Dr Azzy,

The information about store apps is very useful. 

I had already uninstalled and reinstalled 1.8.3 before I read your comment. 

I wasn't aware that the Windows store versions would be any different.

thanks very much

gc_malcolm

So having uninstalled the Windows store version of Arduino and installing the latest build directly I am back up and running. 

Had some minor issues with my project which turned out to be incorrectly named according to the new version of Arduino but happily ran in the old.

Now that I can SEE my arduino exe I completed my setup for vMicro in Visual Studio and now have an editor that I can read the output.

Whoever thought red on black was a good idea for the Arduino editor and then stopped people from changing the colour in the theme?

All is well that ends well, but I could have done without the angst. 

Thanks again DrAzzy

Muruganantham

Bad.
So having uninstalled the Windows store version of Arduino and installing the latest build directly I am back up and running. 

Had some minor issues with my project which turned out to be incorrectly named according to the new version of Arduino but happily ran in the old.

Now that I can SEE my arduino exe I completed my setup for vMicro in Visual Studio and now have an editor that I can read the output.

Whoever thought red on black was a good idea for the Arduino editor and then stopped people from changing the colour in the theme?

All is well that ends well, but I could have done without the angst. 

Thanks again DrAzzy
===========================================
Guys, no need to uninstall, open add/remove programme in control panel and select move option to move entire directory to your folder.

jumpjack

"Move" is disabled on my system for Arduino IDE installed from Windows Store.
So I totally uninstalled the Windows Store version of IDE, and installed same version (1.8.9) but standalone (installer version, not zip version).

No luck.

DrAzzy

I don't think you can move the installation folder for Windows Store apps.
ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

THOR-00

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt

Go Up