Can I use SG014 C331 transistor for DC motor control

I saw some tutorials about dc motor control but I don't have same transistor. I am planning to get some transistors from old circuits. I have searched their datasheets and I think I can use SG014 C331. am I right?

Without knowing the specifications of the motor, how can we answer that question? We need to know, at least,the rated voltage and stall current of the motor. Is it a brushed motor? A link to the data sheet for the transistor, too, please.

If you provide a link to the datasheet of that transistor and another to the specification of the motor you should get some reasonable answers.

With what you've provided so far it's like saying "I've found a piece of string, will it be o.k. for what I need?".

Steve

I got that dc motor from a toy. So I don't know it's specs but it is probably standard 9v dc motor

and here is the datasheet of that transistor

http://www.chinaypages.com/sampleroom/onesample/406824499/Bipolar_Transistor_Transistors_S9014_C331_NPN_TO-92_[EF32].html

I am using arduino uno

The tutorial whic I have read says use BC547 transistor but I can't buy that now so I wonder if I can use S9014 instead

Collector current is specified at 100mA (absolute maximum). I doubt that the motor (even a toy motor) pulls less than 100mA at start up or stall. Estimate the stall current of your motor by measuring the resistance across the motor power inputs. The stall current would be the motor supply voltage divided by the measured resistance. The transistor (or better yet, logic level MOSFET) needs to handle the stall current.

And also I got a zener diode from same circuit which I got the transistor from. Tutorials showing that I must use a zener diode for preventing from voltage damage which motor can cause. Can I use a random diode for that or they have important specs too? Sorry I don't know about electronics

I would not use a zener of unknown specifications as a fly back diode. A regular rectifier diode is suitable. 1N4001(or any 1N400x) for instance.

PTSeeker:
I got that dc motor from a toy. So I don't know it's specs but it is probably standard 9v dc motor

and here is the datasheet of that transistor

http://www.chinaypages.com/sampleroom/onesample/406824499/Bipolar_Transistor_Transistors_S9014_C331_NPN_TO-92_[EF32].html

O.k. so for a start it's not an SG014 transistor it's S9014. But basically if that motor would have been o.k. with a BC547 then the S9014 will probably also be o.k. as they're both rated for the same current.

But if you can't measure the current taken by that actual motor you're taking a risk. Asking what transistor will work with an unknown motor on an unstated voltage is never going to be anything other than guesswork. For example many "toy" motors run on 3V or even 1.5V. If you run one on say 9V it will take A LOT more current.

Steve

slipstick:
But if you can't measure the current taken by that actual motor you're taking a risk. Asking what transistor will work with an unknown motor on an unstated voltage is never going to be anything other than guesswork. For example many "toy" motors run on 3V or even 1.5V. If you run one on say 9V it will take A LOT more current.

Steve

How can I measure the voltage of the motor ? I think it is 6v but I am just guessing as you said.

If motor's voltage is more than I guessed and transistor is not enough for that motor will it damage the arduino or just the transistor?

The schema I am trying to follow is this

I would start with 1.5V on the motor and see how well it works. If too weak, go up to 3V, 4.5V, 6V and so on till you get the performance that you want with the motor under load (without overheating the motor).

transistor is not enough for that motor will it damage the arduino or just the transistor?

Most likely just the transistor if wired properly. Make sure that there is a resistor between the transistor base and the Arduino output. Use 220 to 470 ohms. The aforementioned flyback diode, across the motor, is also required.

Notes: The +12V would be whatever your motor supply voltage is and the transistor (Q1) would be your transistor. Also that the transistors are NPN (bipolar) or N channel logic level (MOSFET).