Go Down

Topic: Beginner Stepper Motor Control (Read 803 times) previous topic - next topic

Smsm

Hello Arduino community,

I have a stepper motor that I am going to get a driver and power supply for so I can run it using Arduino UNO, So this is the motor Minebea 23KM-K723-23V. It's rated 2.5 Volts and 3.5 Amps per phase.

Now since I am a beginner I really don't want to fry anything this is why I would really appreciate anyone that can answer my following questions. :)

I don't really know which driver is suitable for that but I really don't have a lot of options where I live so I have done some search and this driver Toshiba TB6560AHQ - I have attached a picture of the product they are selling here - is the only one that supplies up to 3.5 Amps but it's rated 12-24 Volts DC which is the problem since the motor is rated 2.5 Volts.

The power supply options are limited as well, The best option I have found so far for this specific driver is a Wall Adapter Fixed 12Vdc (3A). Again I don't really know how supplying only 12Vdc 3Amps will work with the driver.

I have really done a lot of searching online to find answers to my questions but I haven't been successful. So I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Robin2

The motor voltage rating is not significant. It is normal to drive stepper motors with high voltages - 12v, 24v, 48v etc. The stepper driver can be adjusted so that it limits the current that can flow in the motor coils to protect the motor.

For a 3.5 amp motor I suggest you get a stepper driver that can provide at least 4.5 amps, preferably  more - that will be a lot more expensive than a TB6560.

Have a look at these links
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Smsm

Thank you very much Robin2.

How would supplying the motor with 3 amps or lower affect the motor? Would it damage it or would it lower the holding torque?

And Is it fine if supply the driver with less than it's operating voltage, amps or would it damage it?

Ty so much <3. 

Robin2

Jun 14, 2017, 07:59 pm Last Edit: Jun 14, 2017, 07:59 pm by Robin2
How would supplying the motor with 3 amps or lower affect the motor? Would it damage it or would it lower the holding torque?
If you adjust your stepper driver to use a max current that is below the max for the motor it will reduce the torque and probably the maximum speed of the motor. It won't do any damage.

And Is it fine if supply the driver with less than it's operating voltage, amps or would it damage it?
Most stepper motor drivers specify the minimum and maximum voltages that they can handle. You must work within that range.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Smsm

Thank you very much Mr.Robin, you seriously helped me more than my college ever did. ty very much <333

Robin2

you seriously helped me more than my college ever did
You have to ask questions to get the best out of college :)

And thank you for the kind words.

...R

Go Up