Go Down

Topic: What type of motor is it? (3 wire stepper) (Read 3989 times) previous topic - next topic

bigfoot535

Hi,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tein-EDK05-10120-EDFC-Active-Motor-Kit-Set-of-4-/222571701693?epid=1229459084&hash=item33d24ea5bd:g:ZLQAAOSwjL5ZBv84&vxp=mtr

any one known how can i control it using an arduino?

Thank you

Robin2

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

bigfoot535

I did searched google..

the only answer that i have found that it is a brushless DC motor which doesn't make sense.

Robin2

I did searched google..

the only answer that i have found that it is a brushless DC motor which doesn't make sense.
You have not said what Google search term you used.
You have not included a link to the page where you got your information.

Help us to help you.

Brushless DC motors are common - why isn't that a likely answer?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

TomGeorge

Hi,
If you look at the other pictures at that ebay site, you will see a box label.
Google.
The motors are part of an automotive Electronic Damping Force Controller.
They are designed to work with a custom controller.

Tom... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

MarkT

[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

INTP

I did searched google..

You must've just crawled out from under a rock where you've been living since the days of only having brushed motors. Brushless motors are now possible. Take your time, new tech can be scary, but it just took a switching of magnet and coil location to lose the brushes.

Computer fans are an example of a brushless dc motor with 3 wires. Power, ground, and a speed sensor.

MarkT

Jul 21, 2017, 11:39 pm Last Edit: Jul 21, 2017, 11:40 pm by MarkT
INTP, no, the point is that its described in the literature about the system as a stepper motor,
that is what makes little sense.  As I said, this is custom, unknown quantity, I'd avoid it
without better information.  It could be 3-phase stepper, brushless, variable reluctance, active, a
linear actuator, a servo, who knows?  Dead cheap at a flea-market it would be interesting, as a working
set of four, its really only interesting for its intended function.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Paul_KD7HB

Jul 22, 2017, 02:07 am Last Edit: Jul 22, 2017, 02:13 am by Paul_KD7HB
INTP, no, the point is that its described in the literature about the system as a stepper motor,
that is what makes little sense.  As I said, this is custom, unknown quantity, I'd avoid it
without better information.  It could be 3-phase stepper, brushless, variable reluctance, active, a
linear actuator, a servo, who knows?  Dead cheap at a flea-market it would be interesting, as a working
set of four, its really only interesting for its intended function.
After studying the documentation Google found for me, I think the description of the motors is "stepping motors" and not stepper motors. Since they are mounted on automobile shock absorbers and adjust a needle valve on them to change the response of the shock absorbers, I think they advance one direction in tiny steps and can turn the other way in tiny steps. The documentation states either 16 or 32 steps are possible.

The motors all show 3 wires, so the motor must be more than just "motors".

Looking at images for 3 wire stepper motors, I see they are indeed 3-phase stepper motors. Used where small size and considerable power are required.

Paul

bigfoot535

Jul 22, 2017, 09:24 am Last Edit: Jul 22, 2017, 09:49 am by bigfoot535
Thank you for all your responses.

I know what these motors are designed for, I am building it on my own (actually, the 2 rear motors already works and installed at my car).

The problem is that at the front I have a very limited installation height at that's where the Allen shaft has an advantage.

Here is a short video of how they work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqjuL9YidmI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YZg3jFps7A

Indeed they have 15/32 steps configurations- from 0 to 16/32 it has to complete 2 full revolutions.

I will read about 3 phase steppers and how to control it from an Arduino.

Hop you are right.

Go Up