Go Down

Topic: Arduino Due firmware (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Bipman

Hi all.

I presume this has been done to death but as a first timer I'm finding it confusing on how to go about flashing the Due with new firmware.  I presume I will be flashing the Atmel16U2 but all the instructions seem to be using a UNO as the programmer.  I don't have a UNO so is there another way of doing it or a programmer (not costing a fortune) I can use?

Bipman

weird_dave

To upload new code just plug it in to a PC via USB, select arduino Due from the list of boards (add it from the boards manager if it isn't listed) and off you go.

westfw

What do you mean by "firmware"?  Sketches are uploaded by the rom bootloader.  The 16u2 has firmware that does USB/Serial conversion, but you usually don't change that, or need to reload it...  The main ARM chip does not contain any "firmware" other than the factor ROM and the user sketch - every time you upload a sketch, you're writing to what is essentially a factory-blank chip.

Bipman

westfw

Ah.   Yes, it looks like you'll need to use some sort of ISP programmer to re-flash the 16u2.  You can buy an OK device programmer from China for about $5 (plus waiting time), or buy an Uno/nano/etc, or probably use some other arduino-like device.  Do you have anything Arduino-like other than your Due?  More than one Due?

I guess it would be theoretically possible to have the Due main processor run a sketch that re-programs the 16u2 on the same board.  But that would be pretty risky.  (Hmm.  Or maybe not; there is that 2nd "Due Native USB" port...)

weird_dave

Ah, that makes more sense :)

I like the idea of using the sam3x to reprogram the 16u2, maybe someone could make it do something useful, it certainly isn't required for programming the sam3x and using it as a serial to USB converter seems such a waste.

Bipman

I'll look into that device thanks.  Hoping instructions come with it !

Bipman

Go Up