Go Down

Topic: Nano 3 Clone crashing Mac OS Mavericks with latest CH340C driver (Read 169 times) previous topic - next topic

oabela

I recently bought two Chinese Nano 3 clones from a local distributor (UK).
At first they didn't work with my Macbook, until I realised I had to install specific drivers for the CH340C serial chip.

I installed the latest version of the CH340C driver from the manufacturer WHC - (see attached). I know that previous versions have caused Mac OS Sierra to crash but this has apparently been addressed in the latest version (V1.5). Plus I am running Mac OS Mavericks (10.9.5) on a Mid-2012 Macbook Pro so I thought this issue shouldn't affect my OS in the first place.

Anyway so I got one of the nano clones working, with the basic example 'Blink' sketch. Worked perfectly. Next I loaded the 'AnalogueReadSerial' example sketch, and opened the serial monitor to see if it was working. That's when Mac OS crashed.

Now I can plug the Arduino in fine, but as soon as I try to load a sketch or open Serial Monitor Mac OS crashes. I did the exact same thing with the second Nano clone and now they both crash when loading a sketch or Serial Monitor.

I have tried:
changing USB cables, plugging into a powered USB bus port and straight in to the computer, removing all other connections (external sound card, external monitor display) and also with Bluetooth connections turned off all to no avail.
I have even tried an earlier version of the CH340C driver (V1.4) with no luck.
I have tried selecting both AT328P and AT328P (Old Bootloader).

I am running the latest Arduino IDE (1.8.9) and have downloaded Arduino's own latest drivers.

I've read almost every forum thread that includes the CH340C driver but nothing seems to have matched my experience with it so far.
Has anyone had the same problem with the latest CH340C driver V1.5 with Mavericks 10.9.5? Should I even expect these drivers to work with an old version of Mac OS?
Should I just buy a genuine Arduino Nano, or is that likely to crash with Mavericks also?

I realise this may be a Mac OS and CH340C driver issue and not directly an Arduino issue but any help will be appreciated, thank you in advance!

Go Up