How many Decibels nRF24L01 uses?

I am working on a project which an nRF24L01 (Receiver) will need to receive from another nRF (Transmitter), to determine the transmitter's distance/range(In meter if possible), dB (if possible), to locate the transmitter.

I've seen that if nRF24L01 wants to get the dB, it requires RPD.
Is it correct?

bool RF24::testRPD(void)
{
return (read_register(RPD) & 1);
}

If its correct, how to add it to my Receiver's coding?

to determine the transmitter's distance/range(In meter if possible), dB (if possible), to locate the transmitter.

This idea comes up at least once a week in this forum, and it is not possible.

Received signal strength depends on many factors, most of them more important than the distance between transmitter and receiver .

But i just want to calculate the distance between them. Do you have any ideas?

Do you have any ideas?

A measuring tape, laser distance sensor, etc. (anything but radio signal strength).

duinoWorld:
But i just want to calculate the distance between them.

Why?

If you tell us that we can probably give a more useful answer.

I have had a pair of nRF24s (the low power ones with the PCB antenna) working at 110 metres distance outdoors.

...R

I am trying to use my NRF (Receiver) to detect where the Transmitter would be. Even when it is moved to another places. I just want to know any way to detect the exact place, or calculate the distance through any formula. But NOT using measuring tape or laser distance sensor. Just using the NRF24L01

duinoWorld:
I am trying to use my NRF (Receiver) to detect where the Transmitter would be.

That won't work.

You could put a GPS on each device and use the nRF24 to exchange the position data from the GPS.

...R

only theoretical

You could try to Count the timer for Signal- send ping - receive answer and compare it with time fpor processing...

Signal will take 300m per millis... so you Need to make your System realy stable and solid...

(sorry for my poor english)

MaHa76:
only theoretical

Too theoretical to be useful.

...R

MaHa76:
Signal will take 300m per millis...

299.792.458 m/s means 300m per micro second, or 18.7m per cycle (with 16MHz).

Whandall:
299.792.458 m/s means 300m per micro second, or 18.7m per cycle (with 16MHz).

Um, no. 300 m/s (or 343 m/s or whatever) is equivalent to:

3x10^2 m/s

...times 10^-6 s/us = 3x10^-4 m/us

...times 10^3 mm/m = 3x10^-1 mm/us

or, simply, 0.3 mm/us

Um, no. 300 m/s

is very roughly the velocity of sound in air, not light (the topic of this thread and correctly discussed by Whandall).

oops! :-*

Even if you could accurately measure the distance to the transmitter, you still don't know the direction to its new location.

Pete

@Whandall: You are right - there Aare 3 Digits missing... 300 per micros...

So maybe it would be possible to add an Sonar- Module to each Note - start a Ping and Count time till it recieves on other Note...

Start Event could be shared between Notes via nrf24.

For Location more Notes are Need to compare different running times...