Go Down

Topic: Cannot upload Uno from Ubuntu machine (Read 2918 times) previous topic - next topic

UnoArduino

Please pardon my ignorance...I am a newbie.  My Uno will upload from my Windows computer, but I cannot get it to upload from my Ubuntu machine.  I get the following error:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Any assistance would be appreciated.

PaulS

Look up there at the top of the screen. Scroll up, if you need to. See the search field? Just maybe this subject has been raised before. Once or twice. Or maybe more than that.

UnoArduino

Yes, I had seen that Search bar, thanks.  And had used it.  Saw dozens of posts with lots of varying speculation about what the problem might be.  Saw stuff about "bricking" the Uno (which I guess means ruining it).  Saw stuff about modifying Ubuntu files, which is far beyond my capabilities. Was hoping that someone had found a definitive answer since, as stated, I am a neophyte.

PaulS

Was hoping that someone had found a definitive answer since, as stated, I am a neophyte.

The problem is that there isn't A definitive answer. Much depends on what you have installed, how you installed it, what permissions you have, what permissions you need to have, etc., etc., etc.

UnoArduino

Yes, I've been coming to that conclusion, Paul.  I'm a senior citizen, with no background in this stuff.  My son thought it would be cool to put Linux on the machine he built me, and another young guy told me that interfacing the Uno would be a snap.  I wouldn't know what permissions I have if I was staring right at them!  I'm in way over my head here.  Sorry to have imposed upon the forum.

PaulS

Sorry to have imposed upon the forum.

It's not an imposition. The problem is that you are not providing enough information. There are Linux users here, although I'm not one of them, that might be able to help, if they knew what version of Ubuntu you are using.

What you selected in the Tools + board item and what you have available, and selected, in the Tools + Serial port item are useful pieces of information, too.

mrtaylor

Did you get it working?  I have been using Ubuntu and arduino for a number of years and might be able to help.   :)

UnoArduino

No, Mr. Taylor, it is not working.  Following the lead of the last comment from PaulS (thanks Paul) I checked under Tools>Board and did not see the Uno listed.  Then I looked at the title atop the Sketch and it referred to Arduino 18.  I went to the Ubuntu Software
Center and it shows the available version as 0018+dfss-4, plus it has a note that Canonical does not update Arduino.  Somehow when I started this last week, I got Arduino 21 downloaded onto my computer, and I extracted the files into a folder on my desktop.  I was laboring under the impression that I was running that version, but somehow it was running 0018. I just deleted Version 0018, but cannot figure how to get 0021 installed now.  I am running Ubuntu 10.10, and it is current.  Thanks, you guys...it is giving me hope that I can get this thing working.

PaulS

I'm hoping that mrtaylor will be able to help you.

The Arduino Uno can only be programmed using version 0021, since it uses a different kind of chip to perform USB-to-serial conversion. The ttyUSBn names changed to something else that is only supported on 0021.

UnoArduino

Okay, Paul, hopefully Mr. Taylor can.  But thank you for getting me started.  I see now what happened...I downloaded the 0021 from the ARduino site and evidently installed 0018 from the Ubuntu Software Center.  If Mr. Taylor can tell me how to install the 0021 file that I downloaded, I may be good to go.  Thanks.

UnoArduino

I also did some reading and learned about Debian.  I found a downloadable version of Arduino 0021 in Debain and got it extracted onto my computer, but still couldn't figure out how to get that last bit done to get it installed. Since this thread is long, and since I now have a different question, I will post a slightly different question.

Phillipe Cantin

I also have the uno board and I'm on Ubuntu.  I had the same problem when i used a new atmega328p-pu chip I ordered.

I fixed the problem by changing the upload speed in the ~/arduino/hardware/boards.txt file

I switched from:
Code: [Select]
uno.upload.speed=115200
to
Code: [Select]
uno.upload.speed=57600

Tell me if this is working for you.

Go Up