Go Down

Topic: Where did the Hardware Folder go? (Read 6015 times) previous topic - next topic

SailTheUniverse

Where did the Hardware Folder go?  There is no longer a hardware folder in the main Arduino folder in the new updates.  Where do I put my custom files instead?

ballscrewbob

According to my installation on windows its still in the same place it always was.

But as you didnt mention your OS or any other info best guess is my first answer.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

pert

By "main Arduino folder" do you mean the sketchbook folder (File > Preferences > Sketchbook location)? If so then you need to actually create the hardware (note that it's not capitalized) folder. This folder is used for manual installation of hardware packages.

SailTheUniverse

I tried on my Mac, and then I tried again on my Windows.  On a windows, if you go to Program Files>Arduino, the only folder in there is Libraries, there used to be a hardware folder too.

ballscrewbob

Aug 30, 2017, 05:53 am Last Edit: Aug 30, 2017, 06:11 am by ballscrewbob
You should be seeing much more on a windows install.

This is a shot on a win 7 install.

And this is from win 10

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

pert

OK, so by "main Arduino folder" you mean the Arduino IDE installation folder. That folder certainly still does have a hardware subfolder. I don't know what's going on with your installation. Which version of the Arduino IDE are you using? Are you sure it's installed to Program Files\Arduino?

Regardless of any of that, you should never install anything to the Arduino IDE installation folder because it will all be lost when you update to a new version of the Arduino IDE. Instead you should use the sketchbook folder, as I explained in my last reply.

SailTheUniverse

Im running 1.1.4, what version are you running?

pert

There is no Arduino IDE 1.1.4. Either you have the version wrong or you are using some modified IDE. I'm using Arduino IDE 1.8.4, the most recent version.

SailTheUniverse

Oh, ok, I found it.  It was in the Program Files (x86)>Arduino.  Thanks for the help guys!

Go Up