Go Down

Topic: Forum software open discussion and suggestions feature requests. (Read 9200 times) previous topic - next topic

ballscrewbob

The old guidelines have a few staunch supporters but I believe its about time they were allowed to retire gracefully.

So I am open to suggestions yes, no, maybe, but ?

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

PerryBebbington

Sep 24, 2020, 02:58 pm Last Edit: Sep 24, 2020, 05:26 pm by PerryBebbington
I think the old guidelines are good but need to be reviewed. I think Nick Gammon must have put a lot of work into them because he did a really good job. I need to think about this.

ballscrewbob

I am sure he did and i think we have come a long way.

Any revisions of his hard work need to be quite concise and maybe condensed similar to yours.
And of course reflect thier origins in Nick.

It is the reason I have not made any changes to his work myself and still refer to it commonly in other areas.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

TheUNOGuy

Why is Nick Gammon not active anymore on the forum?
Please Check the internet before posting!!!
#Learn how to use the FORUM - https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=148850.0

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL

Sep 24, 2020, 05:07 pm Last Edit: Sep 24, 2020, 05:11 pm by TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL
Burn-out.
It's a side-effect of being a mod here.

Here's a recent post.
Please don't PM technical questions - post them on the forum, then everyone benefits/suffers equally

PerryBebbington

Burn-out.
Since you resigned as a mod I've been amazed at how many posts you've made! You don't seem to be burnt out at all!!!!

ballscrewbob

Since you resigned as a mod I've been amazed at how many posts you've made! You don't seem to be burnt out at all!!!!
It has given him a new line of release though.
Sort of scares me sometimes and rolling on the floor the rest.

:smiley-lol:

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long and you have burned so very brightly
Eldon Tyrell
Please don't PM technical questions - post them on the forum, then everyone benefits/suffers equally

roches

Hi all. I want to add a quick comment about the forum design that will hopefully be seen by some of the right people without worrying about the optimal place to put it, about whether there's already a thread, etc. It's about the message asking people to set up 2-step verification, and it says that if you set up 2-step verification, a hacker won't be able to get into your account even if "he" has your password.

The open-source community, I think, is an inclusive one, and 2-step verification will stop any intruder who has the password, unless he, she, they, or <intruder's pronoun> got that one-time code, right? I can't see the actual text because I guess the prompt only comes up every so often, but it is probably possible to simply remove the pronoun. For example, "even if he has the password" might become "even with the password". I'm not trying to insist on a change or object strongly; the idea is to keep the focus on security by avoiding any inadvertent implication about hackers being male.

ballscrewbob

@roches  (Andrea ?)

The correct place for the request would be github.

Go Up